jekel

First start up reconned VR6 that's beentored for a year

Hello, as title really. Putting in a new VR6 engine, box and clutch. Was fully reconned just over a year ago, did few hundred miles then taken out car and stood for a year, not been used. Me and Chris (Lilfuzzer) who's putting it in, had good look at and does look like reconned as said, as far as we can tell, still got engine builders marks, dates on etc. and everything can see looks new.

As it's not ran for a year any specific start up procedure before first firing? Heard of some pouring diesel directly into cylinders via plug holes, turning over by hand (without plugs for fear of hydrolocking, then crank without plugs to spit it out, then fire it up (presumably shortly followed by plug and oil change).

This or any other start up tips/procedures needed or is this process for ones that's stood for many, many years.

It already turned over quite freely by hand.

The engine previously ran fine I'm told, but previous owner was trying a VR6 conversion from 4 pot and never hooked up all sensors and electrics fully/correctly so presume never ran 100%.

(Mines a VR6 getting new engine, not a conversion and every sensor, coilpack etc. etc. is new on it. Old engine actually ran perfect bar a slight semi misfire at times which I suspect was a valve or guide starting to wear) and a new engine, clutdch and box never going to do any harm.

Mine was out for a bit more than a year. I hand cranked it a lot to ensure it was all smooth and free and nothing striking.

I then put everything together removing the HT leads and cranked it over to circulate oil etc also squeezing the coolant pipes to ensure circulation.

Once it all sounded good, I reconnected the HTs and fired it up.

Also I have only put cheap oil and filter in and intend to run for a few hours then drop it and replace with good oil.

Just my views but hope it helps

Mine was out for a bit more than a year. I hand cranked it a lot to ensure it was all smooth and free and nothing striking.

I then put everything together removing the HT leads and cranked it over to circulate oil etc also squeezing the coolant pipes to ensure circulation.

Once it all sounded good, I reconnected the HTs and fired it up.

Also I have only put cheap oil and filter in and intend to run for a few hours then drop it and replace with good oil.

Just my views but hope it helps

Yep did that today, sweet as a nut, sounds and runs beautiful