escrime

ABF cams in a stock 9A - mapping?

Hey guys,

I drive a bone stock 9A valver and I have a set of ABF cams with all the needed gaskets, sealants, the cam chain and a set of new spark plugs.

Before I move forward I have a couple of questions which I couldn't answer by searching:

- Once the cams are in and everything is put back together do I start the car immediately or will it need some other tuning? I mean is this a "plug and play" mod in the direct sense?

- Will the injection system "adapt" to the new cams?

- If you have done this mod, what settings have you applied for ignition timing and fuel compared to stock?

- What will happen if I leave the injection fuel settings untouched?

Many thanks!

P.S.: Pic for attention :p

I dropped KR cams and did the cam belt and chain at the same time. The system just worked fine with stock timing. KR cams made my 9a much better to drive.

I know from experience the 9a can be chipped, but this doesn't affect the injectors as they are mechanical, it just changes the advance curve (I think).

This mornings commute saw 35 MPG.

No doubt a rolling road set up would be beneficial to get the best out of any modifications.

Ah, yes, I should probably do the belt as well.

Have you put yours on a dyno and how does it behave?

Does it make power below 4500 RPM?

I've seen so many different opinions on power difference that I really don't know what to expect anymore.

Ah, yes, I should probably do the belt as well.

Have you put yours on a dyno and how does it behave?

Does it make power below 4500 RPM?

I've seen so many different opinions on power difference that I really don't know what to expect anymore.

No dyno run but it's very smooth and pulls like a train beyond 4k. The cam change is well worth it with only gains across the rev range being noticed and much more willing to rev. The 50mm intake I fitted is supposed to loose a bit of torque, but if it does it's only slight and more that makes up for it with the top end pull.

I use mine daily in hilly Yorkshire and love it to bits.

Thanks for the input. I had the injection system cleaned and tuned up to the factory settings last week and the car behaves very well. Off the highway I usually get about 40-45 MPG with well behaved driving. On the highway at 90 mph it drops to about 35 MPG.

Back on topic, my plan is to have both cams installed and set up on the original timing marks and then run the car without doing anything to the injection system and see what's what. I hope that it gets some grunt on the top end as currently it has a noticeable drop-off at about 5900 RPM.

Chipping the 9A will probably be next to impossible over here...

Edited by escrime

Thanks for the input. I had the injection system cleaned and tuned up to the factory settings last week and the car behaves very well. Off the highway I usually get about 40-45 MPG with well behaved driving. On the highway at 90 mph it drops to about 35 MPG.

Back on topic, my plan is to have both cams installed and set up on the original timing marks and then run the car without doing anything to the injection system and see what's what. I hope that it gets some grunt on the top end as currently it has a noticeable drop-off at about 5900 RPM.

Chipping the 9A will probably be next to impossible over here...

You'll definitely see an improved top end. Mine will pull to the redline if required.

Chipping is simple as in remove ECU, open it up, remove/replace chip, close and reinstall ECU. I had good results with a chip from this guy who accepted an offer of about half his buy it now price. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-CORRADO-2-0L-16V-PERFORMANCE-CHIP-Chiptuning-/321723950023?hash=item4ae83de3c7:m:mz3M81W_OGBIR_ySv8JPAJA

The 50mm intake is in my opinion worth doing even if its for looks only.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]82648[/ATTACH]

What I had in mind is mapping the car on a DYNO would probably be next to impossible here.

I never had much trust in ebay chips.

Did you install yours before or after you had the KR cam in?

What difference did it make and in what rev range?

20ish quid for a chip doesn't sound like much as long as it doesn't do damage.

At least I could have an extra chip for reprogramming on a DYNO... If I find someone who can do it.

BTW, thanks for bearing with me and my noobish questions on this, as I haven't found much info on the 9A from locals.

Most are boosted or swapped for ABF or have standalone electronics, all of which are of no interest to me.

What I had in mind is mapping the car on a DYNO would probably be next to impossible here.

I never had much trust in ebay chips.

Did you install yours before or after you had the KR cam in?

What difference did it make and in what rev range?

20ish quid for a chip doesn't sound like much as long as it doesn't do damage.

At least I could have an extra chip for reprogramming on a DYNO... If I find someone who can do it.

BTW, thanks for bearing with me and my noobish questions on this, as I haven't found much info on the 9A from locals.

Most are boosted or swapped for ABF or have standalone electronics, all of which are of no interest to me.

Installed around the same time as the cams, possibly just before. Makes the car more eager to get moving. As for damage - I've done probably 10,000 miles with the chip installed with no issues. The gains are more to do with drivability rather than the claimed 10 BHP (which I doubt).

Well, the car is with my mechanic for the week.

All belts, pulley, cam chain, spark plugs and all seals and gaskets will be changed as well.

I'll be picking the car up on Saturday and will post my "butt dyno" results.

According to my mechanic it is wiser to drive and break-in the gas timing as it is first and maybe chip tune it later.

Don't know what the logic is, but that's the plan for now.

Got the car back... Finally!

We ended up replacing the distributor and water pump as well.

Difference is actually quite noticeable.

After the cam install it now pulls strong to the red line.

If my "butt dyno" is anything to go by... I would say that up to 2000 RPM it is now less eager, but after that it has much better response.

Strongest pull seems to come between 5 and 6K RPM.

My MPG seems to have improved as well.

Edited by escrime

Got the car back... Finally!

We ended up replacing the distributor and water pump as well.

Difference is actually quite noticeable.

After the cam install it now pulls strong to the red line.

If my "butt dyno" is anything to go by... I would say that up to 2000 RPM it is now less eager, but after that it has much better response.

Strongest pull seems to come between 5 and 6K RPM.

My MPG seems to have improved as well.

Good to hear you're enjoying the results.