jekel

Normal Running emp.

Got the new engine and gearbox in and all's very well, running mint, only thing is running very cool. In this weather 70 degrees all day long, maybe 75 if driving "with enthusiasm" and 80 in bad traffic.

At what point do "choke" mechs. switch off, what is optimum running temp.?

It's got a VW (Mahler) thermostat. in came with engine, had new one to put in decent FEBI think it was but as VW one looked new, and tested and working fine, used that, don't think any are as good as VW ones.

MPG's great once warm, miles better than old engine, but thirsty if check MAK computer thing in first few miles

Worth checking the temp the ecu is getting from the blue sender, you need to hook car up to vagcom/VCDS to do it though.

Noticed my dash gauge reads low, changed everything and still the same, checked in vagcom and its just inaccurate, I don't know if it was always like that or not, but notice quite a few people with the same thing.

oil and water should get to 80-90 degrees C in 10 minutes or so of normal driving from cold, water temp should stay stable on the gauge except in extreme conditions but the oil will fluctuate from 80-120 C on most cars depending on ambient temp and driving conditions

I've found a cheap IR 'gun' thermometer (less than a tenner if you buy from China) is really useful as you can point it at everything under the bonnet to help diagnose blockages and faulty stats etc.