Sign in to follow this  
julesz

Red tail lights

Im looking to for the best way to have all red tail lights like the pic. Is tinting spray/film the way to go or does someone like inpro make red replacements? Wasnt too sure how nice film/spray would look....

first, take the lights out of the car and sand down the writing on there. you can tape off the white reverse sqaures if you want (i do).

mix your red of choice with a lot of clear... put it on in thin coats until you get it how you want.

you can also put a few coats on the bit that is already red to give it more of a uniform look. if you want the top to blink red instead of orange, the paint will help, but get some red bulbs as well.

i dont think in pro makes red/red tails.. and even if they do.. i've heard the stock hella lights are superior quality. i will be painting the lights soon.. i'll take some pics and post how it went. :D

my friend painted the taillights on his mk2 golf.. made them green to match the car. looked v nice with the shaved hatch. you can wax and polish that too..

Cheers lanny!! Why mix the red and clear, why not just red? WHat kind of stuff do you suggest using? Also, isnt it necessary for the indicators to blink orange??

Yeah - Very tasty colour indeed. Dont think its original. They claim it to be 350bhp!!!! :shock: :shock:

i've never done this, i'm just relaying info from my friend who works body at vw/audi..he used clear so that the paint didn't dim the lights too much. he used clear and his signals still looked fairly green..but he wanted it like that. looks good.

if you use solid paint you also won't see any of the reflector pattern stuff under there.. it will be solid paint, you won't be able to see through it. also, the clear allows you to put on thinner layers at a time (well, same thickness, less red) so you can go slow and fine-tune how dark you want it.

i'm not sure what type of paint or clear to use.. i leave that stuff to him, but i'll try to remember to ask him what he uses.

i'm not sure if its necessary for them to blink orange over there, it isn't here. red is fine (many north american cars share brake lights/signals..so if your brake light is out, so is your signal, get my drift?)... and technically white is legal too. when i paint the tails, i'm leaving the reverse squares white so i can wire those up as the signals, and have white signals all around... i like the clean look of it. esp on a light (silver) car. :thumbleft:

..also, i think it is illegal not to have a white reverse light. i may be wrong.

julez If your indicators blink red, rather than amber, you will fail the MoT.

And yes, Lanny, it is necessary to have a white reverse light as well as the amber indicators here, unlike the US.

If you want to be very strict, it is actually illegal to remove the Hella and EC markings from the light too - but I doubt an MoT station would pick up on that.

Its not just the MoT too - you could receive an on-the-spot penalty if a very bored copper spots you too.

yea that blue corrado is a 16vg60 and has 360hp,it belongs to JD engenieering in holland. For my car as it is original to the colour of the pic its what I will do, looks very nice :p .

Hmm, so id have to leave the reverse lights clear. Fair enough. Is it possible to get orange bulbs, and would that be orange enough do you reckon?

LOWG, dont you have all red tail lights or just tinted?

You can have the reverse lights tinted red - its just they have to shine white(ish) in order to pass - so a light dusting of red tint would be ok.

And as for orange bulbs - the plastic is orange already don't forget - so making the bulbs orange wouldn't do anything - in fact they normally blink a bit darker orange - so with the tint spray would end up looking more red :mad:

Its a bit of test-and-see when you're doing the spraying, really.

Hmm, so id have to leave the reverse lights clear. Fair enough. Is it possible to get orange bulbs, and would that be orange enough do you reckon?

LOWG, dont you have all red tail lights or just tinted?

i had them tinted in light black but before mot i rubbed them off,but now i will do them in dark black like the above picture as it really suits my colour,i might tint the windows with a light smoke to colour code the whole car,it would look sweet. Im looking to do the tinting myself,has any1 got any tips on how to tint windows, i tryed it once and got stucked with the rear window which i couldnt fit preoperly due to the curvy surface of it,i dont know if using a hot hair dryer would help>

i dunno andi.. i think amber bulbs would help a little if the signals turn too red. maybe not. you could always start tinting them... and in between coats, hook one up to the car and make sure its still orange enough... then stop before it gets too red. might not make the tails as red as you would like, but its better than the nasty orange. :?

julesz, I've got a set in the Garage in red with all the letters and part numbers removed. im in the uk from thursday so if you want them they are yours at a sensible price.