0055gee

L928 dnp

Hi. Been on here a while, but not really posted. So, i thought I'd start a build thread just to document progress on the car.

Its a 1994 VR6. Totally standard condition thats never had any serious work done, so, its starting to look a little worn.

I've had it just over a year now. When i first bought it, we used it as a second car/ weekend car, which meant i didn't do any work on it, other than fix a sticky electric window.

I know plans change, but my plan long term is to keep it and when time/money allows, do a full restoration on it. Untill then, do what ever jobs need doing to keep it at least at the standard it is now.

Back in November it passed the mot. But, it had a noisey front wheel bearing. Once i stripped off the hub carrier, i noticed some of the drop links/bushes were worn. So, i've bought a complete set of all front end bushes, including new suspension arms, drop links, arb bushes etc.

On top of that i've bought new shocks all round, front brake calipers and new engine mounts. All as close to standard as i can get. The shocks are bilstein b4.

At the minute, i have it jacked up in the garage with the wheels off and the front running gear all stripped down for a bit of a refurb/clean.

There are a few patches of rust underneath that need some attention. Mostly where people have tried to jack it up in the wrong place, cracked the underseal and then rot has set in.

Last night, i tackled the worst bit. It was just behind the drivers side front wheel. Once i wire wheeled the rust away, i could see it a little clearer. The right thing to do would be to completely cut it out, fabricate a new section and weld it in. But, although i have a welder, i dont have any of the fabrication tools needed to do it. In the end i cut out the worst of the rot, then just kept building it up with weld, grinding back, then more weld over the top to build it up. There is now plenty of rot free metal there to keep it going until i invest in some tools and do it properly, hopefully within the next year or two.

Cheers. I think the pictures flatter it a bit though! One of the things i like is the fact its pretty much all original.

I've got plenty of jobs on the to do list, so will post more pics soon.

Hi L928 DNP was my first Corrado!! Nice to see its still around I owned in about 10 years ago had it for a few year and sold it to my mate. I spent a small fortune back then on body work I bought it off a guy who had left it in his chicken barn (no joke!) .

Hope your enjoying it..

Yeah, really like owning/tinkering with it. I bought it on pistonheads from a lad in stoke, he owned it around four years.

What bodywork did you have done then?

Good to hear from you.

Pretty much finished putting it all back together today. It doesn't look muchn in the pic, but it was alot of work to get it to that stage. I completely removed all components in the arch and replaced/repaired them all. I've also done both engine mounts and the gearbox mount. Had to make up a new copper brake pipe, due to one of the old ones snapping when i went to get the old hose off.

Bled both the front brakes, solely using a vacuum pump. Got good feel from the pedal, but the abs appears to be totally dead, as there is no priming noise when the ignitions turned on. I haven't really looked into it to much yet. Tomorrow i'm going to bleed the pump to see if this helps. But, when i road test it, if the brakes feel ok then i probably wont worry about it to much for now. Would there be any reason why it has to be fully working if the brakes feel ok? The light wasnt working correctly when i took it for an mot in november, so i just pulled the lamp unit out and used a dash blank in its place, but i'm pretty certain i did used to get the priming noise.

I want it taxed and ready to use from 1st march, so hopefully the brakes will be ok.

Hi, as per the (hopefully) revised title, I will be putting the corrado up for sale soon. I don't really want to, but I have ordered a new car and have to start making room. Will be putting a full ad up soon, but in the mean time, if anyone knows of anyone that wants a good straight corrado that needs a little tlc, or can be used as is, get in touch.