Nweaver87

16v head options

Hey guys I have a 1990 Corrado 1.8 16v. I imported my Corrado from the UK to the US. I'm currently having a few issues and I'm trying to figure out how much of a difference there is from the kr to the pl 16v. I'm pretty sure I vent a valve due to timing belt failure on startup. I'm not a long time Vw guy and I'm pretty lost when it comes to what I can and can not do with this motor. Does anyone know if I can swap a pl 16v head onto the kr bottom end currently in my car? I have learned that the cams in the kr and a bit more aggressive than the pl but other than that I haven't found anything saying the motors are different. I'd appreciate any insight into this little dilemma if anyone knows anything that could be helpful to me. My worries go beyond the bent valve and the heads though. Can I use most parts from the pl on my car? I need to be able to fix when she breaks and we all know vws can be a little steep when it comes to repairs so the last thing I need to to ship all my parts from the UK to the US.

You the guy that posted on Vortex? :)

Can't answer your technical query but happy to help get parts shipped to you in the USA.

I am the guy that posted on vortex. I figured the more I put the question out there the better off my chances are to find an answer.

Thanks for the tip man. From what I understand from that post it will work for me to use the head that I'm getting this weekend. Thank god for that. I was getting a little worried about it.

As far as I know the head will be a straight swap but I would use the KR inlet cam better pull.

I've got a spare set of KR cams if anyone is interested.

Also got a set of standard 2.0 cams if anyone needs any.

Edited by MZpog

I don't need cams I just need a head. Honestly I probably only need valves but I'm too lazy to just replace them. That's why I was looking for a head.

I don't need cams I just need a head. Honestly I probably only need valves but I'm too lazy to just replace them. That's why I was looking for a head.

I have in my possession a KR head that's had some flow work. It has a receipt with it for a skim and new valve. It is waiting for me to have it fitted to my daily, but I still haven't got round to it. I may be tempted to part with it but even if I fit it, I'll still have the one from my car (just dunno when this'll be).

Stuart

Where are you located and what kind of price would you want from the head?

Bingley West Yorkshire which means collection is unlikely if you're in Suffolk. It's heavy too so postage would cost a bit I imagine.

As for price, that depends on which I sell. I've had the mildly flowed one a while and still haven't got round to fitting. I think it stands me at £175 (which I though was reasonable as the skim/valve receipt is for about £110).

Honestly I completely forgot to update my profile. I left England in November and am in the states now. Which makes getting parts even harder for me.

Honestly I completely forgot to update my profile. I left England in November and am in the states now. Which makes getting parts even harder for me.

Well that's £1000 for the head including postage, lol.

Actually I've no idea how to go about posting something of the weight/size of the head. I'd also be worried it would go missing in the post.

I would post one if you want but dunno how much it would cost or how to go about packaging it.

yes it can, only very minor casting differences between 6A/9A (2L) and KR/PL (1.8 ) heads and you can also directly swap a mk3 golf 16v head (ABF engine/ACE in audi)

It's the other way that can cause issues as swapping a KR head onto a 9A supposedly needs one of the location dowels dressing down. No doubt I'll find this out if/when I tackle the job.

Wasn't an issue on my 16v, kr head on a 6A block, which is basically a 9A that originally had a sump and oil pump to fit an audi, ie mounted length ways

You guys are throwing out all of these head style numbers and I'm just a little lost. I'm not a VW... Well I wasn't a VW guy. So I'm trying to learn all this ****. So correct me if I'm wrong but you're saying the 2.0 16v head and the 1.8 16v PL head will work on my 1.8 16v KR block. Is that what's going on here?

Yes, essentially they are all the same, with interchangeable cams, valvegear and ancillaries, only the actual head casting changes a little from one head part number to another, where vw decided to tweak the cooling galleries and possibly other very minor casting changes that may affect flow a tiny amount. The only 16v heads with any major revisions are the mk3 golf ones, from the 'abf' engine (2L) these have different valvegear and are probably the best factory standard heads.

So the 2L head would bolt onto my KR bottom end with no modification with better power and cooling? What about the CIS system I currently have on my car? Is that the same as well?

So the 2L head would bolt onto my KR bottom end with no modification with better power and cooling? What about the CIS system I currently have on my car? Is that the same as well?

A 2L head would just bolt on, but you'd want to keep your KR cams for more power. No idea about the CIS system.