Jon_vr6

Idle speed high

Happened a couple of times now leaving work start the car (stone cold)and the car idles at 1200rpm and slowly rises up. I turn off the engine start the car again and it idles as it should from cold at 1100rpm and drops to the usual 680ish rpm after a couple of minutes of driving.

Whats the likely cause of the revs being high to start with ?

Cheers

Happened a couple of times now leaving work start the car (stone cold)and the car idles at 1200rpm and slowly rises up. I turn off the engine start the car again and it idles as it should from cold at 1100rpm and drops to the usual 680ish rpm after a couple of minutes of driving.

Whats the likely cause of the revs being high to start with ?

Cheers

what odd timing ;) lol

I have been having similar issues lately. however I also had quite a bad misfire last week & prior to that I had a couple of cold starts where it over rev'd compared to a normal start, then dropped & nearly cut out but bounced back to what would be normal revs again

I suspected coil pack or cam sensor as the gf's storm had a similar issue not long after she brought it

sent to the mechanic for diagnostic, nothing showed up on vagcom etc

visual inspection of coil pack showed cracks & he said he could see the HT leads tracking, thus they are showing signs of breaking down

replaced coil pack & misfire is now gone but it is still rev'ing slightly higher than normal on a cold start

I have ordered a set of magnecor 8mm HT leads to replace what look like the factory VW ones on there currently

I would say it is worth you checking your coil pack & HT leads & go from there

EDIT: just in case, the cheapest place I could find them was here http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/magnecor-8mm-ignition-leads.html

Ht leads are 6 months old max and coilpack is 1 year old max. No misfires to report. Doesnt happen all the time either 99% of cold starts perfect, its that 1% that id like to get to the bottom of. I was thinking isv but dont you usually get stalls if the isv is playing up if so then its not the isv either.

Might record it next time and see what happens if i leave it idling high. I did rev the car thinking it would go back to normal but still stayed high.

Ht leads are 6 months old max and coilpack is 1 year old max. No misfires to report. Doesnt happen all the time either 99% of cold starts perfect, its that 1% that id like to get to the bottom of. I was thinking isv but dont you usually get stalls if the isv is playing up if so then its not the isv either.

Might record it next time and see what happens if i leave it idling high. I did rev the car thinking it would go back to normal but still stayed high.

hmmm now I am wondering if I am chasing an issue around as mine too only happens very often & the misfire only happened once, on the way to work but then it ran fine on the way home that evening & to the mechanic's

it has never actually stalled. on the time it starts where it rev's higher than normal for a few seconds then as the rev's started to settle they dropped to almost nothing for a fraction of a second & then immediately picked up to normal cold start rev'ing

a video is a good idea, I could do similar

hmmm now I am wondering if I am chasing an issue around as mine too only happens very often & the misfire only happened once, on the way to work but then it ran fine on the way home that evening & to the mechanic's

it has never actually stalled. on the time it starts where it rev's higher than normal for a few seconds then as the rev's started to settle they dropped to almost nothing for a fraction of a second & then immediately picked up to normal cold start rev'ing

a video is a good idea, I could do similar

Camera at the ready for next time.

I had that a few years ago but then after getting it out again after a winter storage it was fine.

ha ha ha yeah we gotta love our cars for that - self healing sometimes ;)

yet again the VR was fine both on the way home last night & on the way to work this morning

camera was ready but it didn't play up for it lol

Mine seems to happen as i leave work (twice its happened) will see later

I find it odd how it can be so intermittent

for example - on the singular morning that the VR actually kangaroo'd me to work due to it misfiring it then ran perfectly fine on the way home & it hasn't repeated it since