Bfstrachan

Exhaust port wet when removed manifold

I was removing everything to put my manifold and down pipe back to stock and found one of the ports wet. Is this something to get sorted as long as access is good or is it nothing to be too worried about?

0af091c521e71c6cefc22919d1b0e783.jpga09705fe4eb57267415d9f3ac0b821bd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Difficult to say, probably just condensation.

Does the car loose water? Smoke from the exhaust?

Your engine block looks terrible, all bloody rust!

At least when you get the manifold and downpipe it'll look better.

Change those studs, they look horrid and whilst your in there get 10 new brass nuts,

If I have enough I'll include them with the other bits.

Those gaskets look as if the exhaust manifold was leaking a wee bit..

I'll give you a couple with the manifold, coat the nuts with copperease grease, that way you can reuse them next time, €8 bloody euro each new..

Edited by VEEDUBBED

Thanks pal, yes I think the 4 branch was poorly fitting. Yes the bottom end is pretty aesthetically poor :) Haven't had the chance to get it cleaned up! Went into VW this morning to order studs and nuts. I have a used stainless exhaust on its way, so all going well, might get her back together next week. Couldn't help notice your use of "wee" - does that imply you are from my neck of the woods?

She doesn't loose water and exhaust is pretty good. I could see daylight between the 4 branch and the head around that port - when I was under the car taking the old exhaust out!

Allright Bill,

I much prefer the original 13mm self locking nuts used on old '90's Vauxhall astras, belmonts and the like than the o.e Vw 12mm nuts, apart from the fact that when you use a 13mm spanner you have more leverage compared to a 12mm spanner also the 12mm Vw ones round off easily too and the washer is already built into the 13mm nut, unlike the silly small Vw versions that fall off whilst your struggling to locate the buggers on the thin studs.. The 13mm have better clamp load too.

Like i said before, if i have a few i'll send them down with the manifold and downpipe.

By the way, all received this end mate.

Give the gaskets a good clean and then coat all in copper grease, i always do this when turboing a valver and never had problems even with used gaskets.

I'm about 1700 miles away from sunny Scotland matey, Rome, Italy..

As soon as i have the tracking number for your parcel ill let you know.

Cheers.

Allright Bill,

I much prefer the original 13mm self locking nuts used on old '90's Vauxhall astras, belmonts and the like than the o.e Vw 12mm nuts, apart from the fact that when you use a 13mm spanner you have more leverage compared to a 12mm spanner also the 12mm Vw ones round off easily too and the washer is already built into the 13mm nut, unlike the silly small Vw versions that fall off whilst your struggling to locate the buggers on the thin studs.. The 13mm have better clamp load too.

Like i said before, if i have a few i'll send them down with the manifold and downpipe.

By the way, all received this end mate.

Give the gaskets a good clean and then coat all in copper grease, i always do this when turboing a valver and never had problems even with used gaskets.

I'm about 1700 miles away from sunny Scotland matey, Rome, Italy..

As soon as i have the tracking number for your parcel ill let you know.

Cheers.

Thanks for all the pointers! Cleaned up the gaskets and the wet one does seem to be oil. Wondering if it's worth doing the head gasket since I have most of the head cleared? Did the head on my mk2 Scirocco a few years back, but not sure how different this would be...

If the engine uses no oil, water has good compressions I'd leave it bill.

You'd then have the extra cost of new head bolts, oil, antifreeze, gasket set, timing belt etc etc...

If the engine uses no oil, water has good compressions I'd leave it bill.

You'd then have the extra cost of new head bolts, oil, antifreeze, gasket set, timing belt etc etc...

Ha ha - does it ever stop :) Will leave it for now then. Can't say I'm unhappy with the running of the car - it was just the noisy exhaust that's been nagging.