Rpmayne

Very strange VR6 stopped revving while cornering hard

Hi, had a very strange experience in the VR6 at the weekend.

Went round a roundabout in an enthusiastic fashion and on the way out the engine revs dropped to idle (engine braked). The engine was still running but the revs counter read 0 as if the ignition was off. Parked up and checked the throttle cable, moved throttle manually and revved fine. It then stalled as the idle is very rough, non existent when cold at the moment (another problem if anyone has any suggestions). Restarted and has been fine since, not exactly confidence building.

What I can't work out is why pushing the accelerator pedal made no difference to the idle (with the revs needle showing none). Surely the opening of the throttle would have caused it to lean out and stall if the MAF etc had stopped responding?

Baby due imminently, think I will take her in another car just incase...

How much fuel was in the tank, i have heard of this happening with some aftermarket fuel pumps if the fuel is low.

ok - am i right that there are potentially 2 issues here

the first being that it struggles to idle when cold &

the second that the rev counter dropped to zero but the engine continued to run as normal

if yes - i am unsure with the idle when cold but there are lots of threads on this forum about it

as for the rev counter dying but all seems well with the engine running - it is likely to be an issue with the dash clocks.

my VR has for a long time had a rev counter that occasionally dances around & can drop completely to zero & the be unresponsive BUT no issue with the engine actually running.

i read on here, from Kev Bacon IIRC, that there is a resistor on the back of the dash clocks which can develop a break in the soldering - which when happens interrupts the connection & causes the rev counter to die or dance

i did ask stealth to resolder said resistor when they had to change my matrix but it still does it even now - usually a light tap on the clocks or the dash above sorts it out

however if the engine was being problematic when the rev counter died then some fault finding will be required

Indeed the two problems, idle I've been dealing with holding the revs and using the hand brake until its hot enough to idle rough. I have VAG-COM somewhere but haven't plugged in yet.

Had 1/2 tank petrol (with additive to try and clean the injectors as its been sitting for over a year).

The weird thing was that I was holding the pedal right down, yet the engine just dropped to an idle, and the rev counter registered 0. Can't understand how the mechanical accelerator cable could be ignored, fly-by-wire yes, but surely opening the throttle would change the revs / kill the engine.