Sign in to follow this  
g60pops

g60 thermostat change

yeah - absolute nightmare. I got the garage to do mine while it was in there and they came out with some lovely language to describe it!!

I borrowed this off Vortex...

Its much easier if you remove the driver side tire and inner wing well. This will provide you with more room to negotiate.

1. You will have to loosed the first belt.

There are three bolts, one to tighten the belt and the other two hold the power steering pump. The last two bolts would be accessible from the oil filter side.

Once this is loose, you can remove the belt.

2. Disconnect the power steering pump and let it hang out of the way.

3. There is an aluminum bracket that must be removed. There are two bolts from underneath. Remove those and take the bracket out of the way.

This will expose the water pump.

Now loosen the clamp on the hose and drain the coolant.

then remove the two bolts from the water housing.

Note: This housing is made from plastic and may crack or break over time. So be gentle or have an extra handy. Better yet, get an aluminum one from a late 80s Golf or jetta.

You will need your original hi-temp thermostat and a new O-ring. Remove the housing and the low-temp will most likely fall out.

Install the original in the same manner as the low-temp.

Then proceed backwards to install everything back up.

Fill your system with new Phosphate free coolant and distilled water.

I changed mine a couple of weeks ago(or i should say, i had mine changed). you dont have to take the power steering pump off to do this. you dont even have to touch it. my cousins an AA patrolman, he changed it roadside in about 20mins. just jacked the front up and got to it from underneath. couple of bolts holding it on, but thats all. he made it look very simple - and he said that there is no nead to do any of the aforementioned stuff regarding moving belts and pumps.

just my 2ps worth 8)