Alistair McClintock

Wheel spec for 95 VR6 with 312mm Audi TT conversion

Hi all, new member here, first time on one of these forums, so forgive me if make an idiot of myself🙄.

Just purchased a 95 VR6 with a 312mm Audi TT front brake conversion. Car came with a set of Schmidt 16" 5x114 alloys fitted with what looks like 20mm adaptors. I want to change these alloys to 17" with out using adaptors, back to 5x100. Can someone give me the correct spec of alloy I require? I don't particularly like the stretched tyre look, (not wanting to offend those of you who do) as I would like a little rim protection from kerbbing. Is 7.5x17 on the front & 8x17 on the back the way to go or can I get away with 8x17 on the front? What is the correct ET fittment I require to clear the calipers and bodywork? I intend to fit coilovers lowering the car by about 40mm. Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Mines got those brakes on and got 17 inch Audi RS4's and clear fine, it's also lowered on Koni adjustables, I'd say at least 40mm, arches sit maybe half an inch above tyres. From memory the offset is ET32 7.5 all round. It's on 205 40 17's, Toyos which have rim protectors and are grippy as hell.

I've got 8 RS4's altogether but sorry keeping all 8 in case bend one or more as getting very hard to get in 17's.

Thanks Coullstar, I've be trying to get to the bottom of this for a few weeks now! Should have joined the forum from the start! Lol🙄. Would I get away with 8 on the front? Just trying to keep my options open as some of the manufactures don't do 7.5.

Yeah I always go with same front to rear then you can rotate wheel if need be. Make sure to double check regards wheel design, if they are really dished then it might be close.

What wheels are you looking at?

Cheers m8, that confirms the size of alloy I require. Do you think I would be able to stagger them by fitting 8 on the rear with 215x40x17 tyres? Would this cause me any issues?

215's would'nt fit on mine, there are larger rolling circumference and wouldn't clear the arches. Not even sure the amount of lowering would make any difference, they were rubbing the front of inner arch liners from memory, and the bottom of strut.

The rears tend to rub on the front lower side of arch, not where you'd think at highest part of arch. My cars very stiff, and only that stops rears rubbing if had two fat boys in back with 205's.