16vMatt

Cams And Engine Rebuild

Evening all thought I might aswell start a bit of a build thread for my engine. I've been given the chance to completely strip my engine at college for a project and replace any worn parts. I've also saved up £1700 over summer to spend over the coming winter on my VR6.

I'm looking to make it go a bit faster so I'm thinking of some schimmel 263's, BMC CDA, decat exhaust and a remap at stealth to finish it all off. Any thoughts or suggestions on other modifications or perhaps a different set of cams are welcome. I've heard good things about the 263's but curious about the 288's/268's aswell. I'm just looking to get better speed overall without losing power at either end of the speed/rev range.

Thanks in advance for any help, look forward to hearing from you knowledgeable chaps.

Would love to do the same to mine one day but I've got a 16vg60 on the go for a mk1 golf at the minute which has taken all my time and funds. Would really like to get some forced induction going on with the vr6, but that would take a fair sized budget. I'm no vr6 expert but would it be worth getting the head to flow better as well if possible? I don't even know if it's possible, maybe some of the vr6 experts can comment on that. Be good to follow your progress.

Would love to do the same to mine one day but I've got a 16vg60 on the go for a mk1 golf at the minute which has taken all my time and funds. Would really like to get some forced induction going on with the vr6, but that would take a fair sized budget. I'm no vr6 expert but would it be worth getting the head to flow better as well if possible? I don't even know if it's possible, maybe some of the vr6 experts can comment on that. Be good to follow your progress.

I know the feeling of having more than one project on the go had a T25 pickup for 18 months that needs attention but my corrado is my main focus. Hoping to go down the FI route next winter or maybe the one after that depending on funds. I'll look in to polishing the head as I'm sure I've seen it mentioned elsewhere. Cheers

Use the thinner MK4 Golf, I believe, Head Gasket and it ups the compression ratio by about 0.5 to 10.5/1 for a few more BHP.

Ian.

Use the thinner MK4 Golf, I believe, Head Gasket and it ups the compression ratio by about 0.5 to 10.5/1 for a few more BHP.

Ian.

Mate tried this when rebuilding his mk1 golf vr6's 2.8, blew the gasket, apparently not a good mod he reckons, but he still got 218bhp with piper cams and a stealth remap once the original gasket was fitted

I'll give it a go and if it goes tits up I can always revert back to the original gasket. Cheers chaps

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

The metal gaskets need a good surface to mate with so it's a good idea to get the head skimmed and apply copper spray to the gasket before fitting, this is what I done to mine and I'm on 4K miles so far and no issues.

The metal gaskets need a good surface to mate with so it's a good idea to get the head skimmed and apply copper spray to the gasket before fitting, this is what I done to mine and I'm on 4K miles so far and no issues.

Good stuff, I'll see to it that I get it skimmed beforehand. Cheers