Sign in to follow this  
x-router

Over Heating Problems

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's still doing it. After a few miles it was back up to 110!! I had a temp probe put into the system and it's only reading a max of 90..wtf is going on!

:x

Ok new info:

With the engine running I removed the black sensor plug and the guage went down to only 75! That isn't right surely? Without the plug it should drop off the scale?

Would this suggest a short?

Well sorted my problem, I changed the whole coolant system, ie new Fan, new Fan Switch, New g12+ coolant, new temperature senders, New Water Pump, New Thermostat, new water cap.

Its running at book temperature and its a dream now,

I dont recommend doing all the above, but i thought fak it get stuck in so I did.

same way I did it vwdubs only I also changed all the water pipes inc. the metal ones! Not cheap, but sodding effective! ;) :lol: 8)

Pulling up an oldie here.

The G60 goes for her MOT on Friday. With a bit of luck she will pass and be on the Rd. Waheeeey at last 4 months in the rebuilding.

One question. During the rebuild I have replaced both ecu and gauge temp senders. Also replaced waterpump n stat, rad switch and run on switch. So basically the lot.

On tickover should the rad fan come on? Mine seems not to. I tested the fan motor by grounding the run on connection it span up ok. Not very fast but it was on.

If I test the fan by shorting out the 3 pin plug. Which plug the one that goes to the actual red switch?

Cheers all

Cheers Supercharged.. :)

Hmmm My fan does not come on. I will try again this morning. Now I have a working temp gauge it makes life a little easier. I'll try shorting the connections also.

What does it mean if it does not come on?? What needs replacing. My new senders are all VW not local shop jobs.

If its the fan motor will the fan from a Mk2 Golf fit. Mt mate has one in his scrap yard at the mo. Also a TDi Passat with a twin fan and Biiiiig rad.

As an update....

Just ran the car and tested the fan plug. Got both speeds by shorting diff wires ect. Filled her up wih a hosepipe through top hose. Cleared a few airbubbles out so thats good. Still no fan action?? Top hose is hot and hard (no pun intended :D ) Bottom hose is cold. So it looks like the Stat I fitted is duff...Yes?

Well... Now finished fitting a new stat. No difference. Top hose hard n hot bottom stone cold. No fan action. No heat from the matrix either?

Rad is cold what next?

Water pump or internal blockage in radiator?

Waterpump is brand new from VW dealer 3 weeks ago. I guess it could be dud? As for Rad blocked. Just flushed it out with hose pipe. Seemed to flow ok. No dirt came out of bottom metal pipe.

What would be a good way to test the pump insitu.. Don't fancy pulling my engine bay to bits now its all rebuilt

take the thin pipe off the expansion tank when the engine isn't running and feed it into where the cap normally is (obviously remove the cap first! :roll: ) Turn on the engine and see if you get a flow of coolant from the thin pipe into the expansion tank. If not, then your water pump ain't doing much or you have a blockage somewhere in the system... :?

mine had the same a few weeks ago, was the thermostat

hot top pipe and cold bottom is most likely the thermostat being stuck open/closed (I forget which)

Can't be two faulty stats in a row?? Could it. I tried em both in a pan of boiling water this morning. Both opened up. I know they can jam n stuff but two in a row.

Is it worth running with no stat just to test water flow round the engine??

I'll try the little pipe idea now. I have just done a search and found a few refs to that pipe. Blowing down it n stuff. Will see if I get a flow of water. Should it be fairly continues and strong or dribble n spurts??

do any relays control the fan?? I realise this won't help the water flow problem. Well down just this Hr had my two new rear yokohama's fitted and was all but ready for the MOT...

As an update

Just pulled the small pipe. Yep steady stream of water and burny finger tips...

I'm gonna pull the stat and see what that does.

2nd update

Well now then. Pulled the stat for the 3rd time today. Run car with no stat. Top n bottom hose's are hot, rad is hot all way down....

Car up to temp 90° and more. Still no fan :mad: Why why why...

Had enuff for today :cry: