vr6paul

Range Rover - any thoughts ?

I'm considering a circa 2005 Range Rover as my wife's daily. Anyone with any experience of them. Petrol v diesel? I have seen a v8 petrol with lpg conversion - could that be the best of both worlds ?

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

V8 on gas is a winner in general. My mate has 2: Vauxhall Monaro and an F150

I'm sure there will be a buying guide for RR somewhere to look for specifics

Getting a lot of negatives elsewhere. If it does the same mpg on gas then cost equivalent is over 40mpg! Even if you only use gas some of the time that's good going.

£295 me thinks - pre 2006. 2006 onwards goes up to £515 for all.

The Td6 is quite slow. If going for diesel the TDV8 is the one to have. I once had a V8 petrol classic Range Rover (a cosseted example with muchos service history) and loved it to bits, it was the last of them with the soft-dash. I sold it due to prodigious thirst for unleaded! I drove it from Surrey to Teeside and back, went through £450 of fuel whilst taking it easy! Using kick-down acceleration you could actually see the petrol gauge moving towards empty! Quite dispiriting despite the lovely wafty feeling! LPG is essential on the petrol version unless you own an oil field

It's the supercharged vogue I've seen. 2005. Same owner for 8 years (since the lpg was added). A lot of car for the money. I guess lpg makes it do more like reasonable mpg. Wondering about inherent issues to watch for. Gearboxes as mentioned seem to be an issue but more on the diesels?

Getting a lot of negatives elsewhere. If it does the same mpg on gas then cost equivalent is over 40mpg! Even if you only use gas some of the time that's good going.

Negatives?

Loads of mates suggesting "steer clear" , "if you'd seen what I have seen" etc etc! Not sure what though lol!

I'd get the gas system looked at and be asking questions of the buyer as to how he has cared for it but speculation wouldn't stop me. Like I said my mate has 2 on gas and they work very well. He had a sprinter van on gas too but moved it on.

They still sound like v8, still go like v8 but the cost of running is slashed.

Sounds like the owner is a stickler which is good. Dealership agreeing to keep it under cover while they have it over the weekend etc - sounds like he cares for it. Will double check but sounds like lpg has been serviced yearly - guy has had it 8 years or so.