Sign in to follow this  
smiff

Not so horny

Trying to fix the horn on my C. Checked all connetions on the steering wheel, looked fine. The fuse is Ok and after searching the forum I've found there is also a relay? Thought I might as well replace the relay, as I have no way of checking it! I've been given a part No. 141951253B £15 -this is relay Number 11. But, looking in the manual it suggests the relay for the horn is No.6 Any ideas?

If its not the relay I'll have to buy new horns.

check the horns first by running a couple of wires to the battery if it works then its not your horns fault 8)

Is the number you have quoted the number on the relay cover, or its position on the relay board? They do not correspond with each other. Are you looking in the Bentley? - if you don't have that, come back to me on the forum and I'll look it up tonight.

Best wishes

RB

smiff, my Bentley shows the horn relay in position 11 which is second from the right on the bottom row (diagram nr.97-3000, on page 29 of "Wiring diagrams", corresponds with detailed diagram on page 51)

Slightly later cars have a relay marked with the number 53, still in position 11 though. It's a 4-pin relay with solenoid terminals 85 and 86, switched terminals30 and 87, 10 amp fuse in position 13.

Hope that that is of help.

Best wishes

RB

Thanks mate.

Relay 11 is correct. Has the number 35 printed on it. Tried another "35 relay" in position 11 last night, both horns still don't work. Fuse is OK. Fed power straight to the horns from the battery and they both worked!

Have taken the cover off the steering wheel and checked all connections looks ok, but could still not get the horn to sound.

I will have to check beyond the push button (Horn cover). What should I look for if I remove the steering wheel?

Would the wire become worn on exiting the bulkhead?

I recall that some time ago I took the steering wheel off my MKII GTI, and got some of the insulating washers on in the wrong way round, and the horn didn't work. Have you had the wheel off?

Also there is some sort of sliding brush connector behind the steering wheel to allow the horn connection to be maintained whatever the position. Maybe that's dirty or broken.

If a wire has worn through, I would expect it to blow the fuse if it's earthing.

Best wishes

RB

I have never taken the wheel off, however, I did have a new ignition barrel about a year ago, not sure if my mechanic had to touch the steering column?...but the horn was working directly after.

Have noticed the brass ring behind the wheel, not really examined it to see exactly how it works, will have a good look this evening!

Thanks

Relay should be 53, not 35. Have you put it in the right way up and in the second position from the right on the bottom row, directly above the fuses?

Best wishes

RB

Check with a multi-meter on continuity setting and see whether the horn button on the wheel is working then trace it through until you find the fault, itll be there somewhere :-P

Will check with multimeter.

Gonna try and sort it out next week, I have a week off before I start my new job. My Corrado will well and truly be a weekend toy for tinkering with!

thanks

smiff, Just a thought mate, but when i replaced my grille a while ago I found that one of the wires to the horn had chafed through against the metalwork behind the grille, to the rear of the horns. I know it's unlikely to have happended to both of them on yours (two tone horn), but you never know, the wiring's getting old now!

Could be a wire? I'll have a look. I did replace a headlight lens a little while ago, the headlight sits ontop of that part of the loom. But wouldn't the fuse have blown if there was a worn wire?

Nice one mate! Yeah, St Albans is close. I'll have a look Friday evening, if I don't get it sorted I'll private post you my number.

Thanks

wouldn't the fuse have blown if there was a worn wire?

You would expect so, for sure, but when I noticed the wire chafed through on mine the fuse hadn't blown, presumably because the wire insulation had broken through, the core was exposed but just laying along the body rather than touching it! Just a thought....