g0ldf1ng3r

RE Advice on how to take oil cooler off/apart - 1.8 16v

Hello again all

this time im asking for help on my valver, 1990 1.8 16v

i think ive located my oil leak - seems to be coming out of the top of the oil cooler, between the cast part & the metal cooler

ive got an O ring on order, the one that sits between the 2 bits mentioned above

ive looked at what i think is a schematic of the cooler but thought id ask if anyone knows how they come off?

it looks like i remove the oil filter & then there is a nut that holds the cooler on via a central shaft

i guess i undo that, unclip that feed & return hoses & then slide it down

any input would be appreciated

thanks

That's basically it mate, I'd also unscrew the center threaded shaft as it makes it easier to relocate the cooler and the orings.

Ideally i'd fit a proper Mocal or similuer cooler and get rid of the original version, they are known to break and make a huge mess when the oil mixes with the cooling water..

That's basically it mate, I'd also unscrew the center threaded shaft as it makes it easier to relocate the cooler and the orings.

Ideally i'd fit a proper Mocal or similuer cooler and get rid of the original version, they are known to break and make a huge mess when the oil mixes with the cooling water..

tidy thanks veedubbed

i can get a new cooler for £23 so might invest in that whilst im there. also may as well do a service as it needs on & im likley to need to drain the oil out anyway

on the point of servicing - anyone know how much oil the 1.8 16v takes for an oil change?

hopefully not just over 5 litres like the VR lol

on the point of servicing - anyone know how much oil the 1.8 16v takes for an oil change?

hopefully not just over 5 litres like the VR lol

tidy - wiki to the rescue - 4.5 litres according to the oil change jobbie :)

From memory the nut that holds the oil cooler on is in the region of 24mm (but could be as big as 28mm). If you measure up and get the correct sized deep socket it makes the job a lot easier, especially getting the correct torque on reassembly.

An oil change on a 2.0 16v is normally 4 litres, I'd imagine a 1.8 is similar.

Neil

can anyone tell me what size the nut is that holds the oil cooler on pls?

one place is saying 24mm but another says 27mm - both of which are bigger than those in my socket set so will need to buy one for this job

Your gonna need that socket the long/deep variety too, no way a normal socket will clear the threaded pipe bit.

Tomorrow morning I'll measure a few I have spare but 99% it's a 24mm size.

Your gonna need that socket the long/deep variety too, no way a normal socket will clear the threaded pipe bit.

Tomorrow morning I'll measure a few I have spare but 99% it's a 24mm size.

excellent thanks Veedubbed, much appreciated :)

Right, i've Got a few spare 'raddo engines in bits.

Both late 2.0 valver 9A's have a 27mm nut holding the cooler in place but the other older KR mill has a 24mm version.

Disregard what I said about the deep socket, I needed that when I fitted a Volvo oil cooler onto my turboed 16v years back, you'll be fine with a normal socket.