Sign in to follow this  
mattyjames

Flywheel types for 1.8 16V corrado

Hi Im new to Corrado ownership

And as always want more power!!! I recently bought a few bit and pieces to build a 2 ltr 16v.

The block I intend to use is audi 3a (bubble block) with a KR 16V head.

This engine came without a flywheel can one of the learned membership advise me of the correct flywheel type part no and what is the stongest clutch option I can fit

Also gearbox type, my car has a Karmen label on the g/b tunnel does this mean anything

is ther a stronger type I coud fit :evil:

Welcome to the forum :)

Not sure about the technical stuff, but all Corrado's have the little Karmann badge on the gearbox tunnel.. its to signify that the car was built at Karmann Coachworks in Osnabruck and not at the VW factory in Wolfsburg - it doesn't relate at all to the internal workings of the gearbox! :)

Welcome to the forum mate. Suppose you know that the bubble block is off of an 8v audi and has significant differences to the 6a (audi) / 9a (VW) engine such as no oil squirters and may give the wrong compression ratio, although I am not sure, but am sure others will know better.

The 3a is no good.You need a 6a,9a or abf.

The 3a is an 8v and doesnt have the correct recesses in the pistons for 16valves,or a oil breather on the front of the blockor none of the above that dave stated.

OK thaks for the help So far I know about the piston problem, the pistons have been machined on top as this was going to be a supercharged engine (hence the lower compression ratio),Im just deliberating maby leave as N/A and bore out to 83.5mm,

I really need a answer on the flywheel clutch as to what flywheel to use as i dont fancy stripping the running engine out to find out the size !!!

matty

You will need the correct flywheel that matches the gearbox.Still wouldnt use that block without the breather as it will just blow up

thanks for your help flusted but trust me the 3a block does have a crankcase breather assy just like a 16v bolck ( I is a inginer)