jamesoff

Alternator cable routing and exciter wire connection (KR)

What's the correct/best route for the cable for the alternator output/exciter wire bundle? Right now on mine they kind of loop round/under the oil filter/heat exchanger and related hoses. Is this right? (There's no real issue I'm solving here, but it seems unnecessarily untidy/in the way :)

Also where does the exciter wire go? I see it pop out of the bundle by the starter motor, and then go through a connector and disappear into another bundle. Where does it go next? I want to make sure the connections are all sound as I'm not sure the alternator is outputting enough volts (I got ~13.5V across the battery when the car is running, shouldn't it be 14.x?) so I figured I'd start with the connections before I look at the alternator more...

If you check the output you at the back of the alternator that will give the correct reading from the alternator the thick red wiring

The wiring is usually fixed to the coolant pipe that runs across front of engine. Should be two plastic clips

If you check the output you at the back of the alternator that will give the correct reading from the alternator the thick red wiring

I'll do that, thanks.

The wiring is usually fixed to the coolant pipe that runs across front of engine. Should be two plastic clips

The hose from the top of the radiator to the expansion tank? I'll dig it out of the current route and send it over that way, ta.

I'll do that, thanks.

The hose from the top of the radiator to the expansion tank? I'll dig it out of the current route and send it over that way, ta.

Nah, its the solid plastic tube that runs from water pump to the thermostat housing

Nah, its the solid plastic tube that runs from water pump to the thermostat housing

Ah ok, that makes more sense. Thanks again.

Yeah as above I believe Jim is talking about the metal coolant pipe, that is bolted to the engine block and cylinder head, that runs under your distributor this pipe connects to one of the heater hoses at the back of engine, and at the other end connects to one of the oil cooler hoses above oil filter.

If you look at the front engine mount you'll see the mount is bolted to a bracket, which is bolted to the starter motor bolts,

attached to this engine mount bracket there's normally a double cup plastic clip which sits horizontal on the top edge of bracket, ideally you should have your main positive battery cable clipped into that double cup plastic clip, your positive cable should then run under your oil filter housing, where it then goes up the other side between your oil filter and thermostat, and connects to your alternator.

This is the normal route on the KR and 9A engines.

As 1200bandit has said you should see 13.5v to 14v from alternator, and similar across your battery. Also if you put your alternator under load by switching on your lights, wipers, hazards, rear window demister, you should see a minimum of at least 13.3v to 13.5v if you rev your engine you should see the voltage increase to 14v

Hope this helps

Si

So I had a look last week (and then was away for work), but measuring from the terminal on the alternator (to the earth strap on the engine block) I had 13.9V idle and 13.8V under load so I guess there's not too much to worry about there?

Attached, hopefully, are a couple of pics of the cable routing from the alternator so if that looks about right I'll stop worry about it!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93760[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93763[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]93766[/ATTACH]

Photo 1) showing wiring from alternator, ideally you want a cable tie to attach it to bottom hose,

well that's what I did on mine anyway.

Photo 2 / 3) showing wiring going behind / under oil filter housing,

on yours the wires go over the water pipe, again you could cable tie them to stop the cable moving and rubbing wearing away so to speak.

On mine the cable runs under the water pipe but to be honest I'm sure it'll be fine.

Yeah a part from that it looks correct in your photos.

Si

Yeah a part from that it looks correct in your photos.

Thanks! Good to know it's about right; I'll see about securing it a little better when I'm home this weekend :)