Jim Bowen

New VR6 Engines

So a 2.8 Jim rather than 2.9, still a bargain though - Look like they have been in storage a long time, as one of the labels has got a date of August 05?

Yeah, 2.8 again, the last engine i had was a 2.8, i didn't notice much difference tbh, fitted the corrado inlet etc and will probably add some cams at some point.

Am hoping its a decent purchase, figured its alot cheap and easier than getting one rebuilt, think it has cams/crank and timing gear all installed

Should be a better long term prospect as I was told ages ago that the larger bore making it 2.9 was the reason that cylinders 1 + 6 were problematic?

Hope not as mine is now 2931cc up from the 2861 of the stock motor - when I stripped mine down I found the wear which was very minimal was on pots 2 & 4 :| just a little bit too much for a hone to completely remove so I decided to bore.... 83mm over the standard 82mm

Nice! I'm sure many 2.9's aren't producing their full allotment of horses anyway and I'd rather have a unused 2.8 over an unknown 20+ year old 2.9 anyday.

Yes made sense to me, i think the last engine the oil pump cost me about £230 and the timing gear is at least £200, add a set of lifters and a few gaskets and its almost the same money as this engine