Sign in to follow this  
hutchheaven

Changing the G-60 tensioner?????

Well i don´t have the VW special tool to do it. :roll:

I always use to flat screwdrivers. :mrgreen:

Place one between the arm and the car body.

Push a little bit, then go for the 2nd screw driver, place it in the left side of the other one and push the arm a little bit more.

You will know when to stop while you see the belt enough released to take it of the alternator.

Be carefull not to mess up your engine bay painting. :shock:

To replace the belt you also need to remove the lower belt (teethet) too.

It is very easy too, just take a look to try to understand how it works before you start.

There is a hidden bolt (13mm if i remember) on the top of the steering pump to hold it.

I use 2 long jubilee clips joined together. Loop them around the tensioner and as you do them up it compresses it a treat.

No need for trips to the ER to have the screwdrivers removed from your hands. :mrgreen:

What exactly is a jubilee clip?When I replaced the serpentine belt a few weeks ago we could not get the new one on.We actually had to remove the alternator pulley.Needless to say it was a real experience :mrgreen: !

What size cable tie would be safe to use?How do you tighten it?What do you anchor it on to?It seems like just pulling on an end would not be enough pressure to do it?Or would it make sense to use a pry bar and cable tie together?

Also where in the US would be a good place to purchase a new tensioner pulley assembly?

What does the special VW tool look like?How does it work?Are they available for sale anyplace?

Thanks again!I need to fix this problem so I can cruise my rado instead of my 16v rocco!!!!!! :D

The first time i needed to remove the belt i did it by brut force and a lot of grunting + 1.5 hoursof swearing. When my belt failed the other week i used the cable tie method to suppress the spring and it took 15 mins tops to do the job

I am going to try it using a ratchet strap :D !Thanks to all for the great advice :lol: !I can relate to the swearing comment as I did the exact same thing!!!! 8)