Langsam

1.8 16v correct radiator

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me with some solid info. After slowly fixing some issues on my C I cant seem to find any info on what rad I originally bought. The temps I normally see are between 100 to 110 coolant and oil between 90 to 100.

The rad that is fitted currently has 16v dimensions but you can see through the core clearly and I can spot two or three round tubes in a row about the diameter of the end of your little finger. Is this the correct rad?

I cant seem to find any part numbers on the rad. The car has had a new waterpump, new thermostat, new rad, new temp sensors etc.

Thanks

Hello there,

sounds like you might have the wrong radiator fitted, as the radiator core tubes I think on the 16v should be oval/flat not round like the size of your little finger.

The coolant temperature you should see when driving is between 84°c and 87°c,

then when stationery will increase to 90°c to 95°c, plus you should hear / see the rad fan kick in every minute or two until the temperature goes down below 90°c. This is what my 2.0 16v 9A engine is like, but should be very similar on the 1.8 16v KR engine.

100°c to 110°c is a bit on the hot side,

sounds like the water / coolant is possibly passing through the radiator too quickly, and not having enough time to cool in the radiator.

Have a read of this thread attached.

Look at page 1 = post 8

Link below:

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?53058-16v-Radiator

I think the part number for the 16v radiator is 191 121 253L

Hope this helps

Si

Edited by vw rule

Cheers for the reply. Yeh I managed to find that thread before. Im just looking on heritage at the moment and this looks similar to mine 191121253L.

To be honest it looks like Heritage might have assigned the wrong image on their sale page for this item,

as like you say it's showing the large tubes within the radiator core, but on the 16v radiator they've got oval/flat tubes within core, this wouldn't be the first time they've had the wrong image.

I can take a photo of mine if needed and send it via text.

PM me your mobile number if you require a photo.

Si

Have a look at this YouTube video at 15:37 when he removes his old radiator, that's how yours should be with the flat tubes within core.

Si

Edited by vw rule

I think possibly a few years ago the original type radiator for the 16v engines was obsolete, but I managed to find one back in 2008 when they were still available, think I payed £50 for it.

Maybe VW Heritage are selling the larger tube core radiator as that's all there is ? Best bet is to speak to one of their sales team or send a PM to Anna, as she works for Heritage but is also a member on here.

You can purchase a aluminium flat tube core radiator, but they're not cheap at £125 off EBay.

Si

But just as a precaution check all your coolant hoses are roughly the same temperature, once your engine is up to running temp, make sure you're not getting too much pressure within cooling system,

basically what I mean is the hoses shouldn't be rock hard, if they are you could have a problem.

Top hose will get warm first, then once the thermostat opens up the bottom hose will become similar temp to top hose.

The hoses should feel slightly pressurised but not rock hard.

Rev your engine up and you should see the coolant level rise and fall slightly, this is confirmation that your water pump is working.

If your bottom coolant hose stays cold or only just loot worm then your thermostat possibly hasn't opened.

The 16v engines when running or stationery shouldn't reach 110°c that's too hot really.

Si

Looking at the video link you have put up, my rad core looks nothing like that. So it does show I have the wrong one

I have also checked like you said before about the thermostat opening and also hoses these have all been working fine. But it just seems the rad isn't cooling the coolant enough which is why now.

If you could please PM me a pic that would be great thanks.

Looking at the video link you have put up, my rad core looks nothing like that. So it does show I have the wrong one

I have also checked like you said before about the thermostat opening and also hoses these have all been working fine. But it just seems the rad isn't cooling the coolant enough which is why now.

PM sent.

Si

I've never had any luck with the 430mm rads in the years I've had vdubs, best bet is to shoehorn in a 630mm one from a Mk3 Golf or similar.

Hello mate just sent you a text,

apologies for late text didn't finish work until late.

Si

Right I've had a look through my service records for my Corrado,

it turns out that I had my radiator given to a company called M&M Fern Radiators back in 2009 as we couldn't find a 16v radiator like the original set up, I could of sworn I found a new one but obviously had it overhauled.

So looks like it was recored for about £55

I tell a lie I thought it had been redone like the original, but actually it was recored like the one in the VW Heritage link.

Thinking about it now I remember going back to M&M Fern Radiators to question them, as my Corrado was running slightly hotter, basically between 86°c & 92°c

Where as before the temp would sit lowish 80s to mid 80s°c when driving.

I know this as I made notes of the temps on the M&M Fern invoice that I found.

So it possibly looks like you can use the radiator from Heritage, but it might run a tad hotter depending on driving conditions ?

It appears that the original style 16v radiator had indeed thinner core tubes and more of them, compared to the one Heritage have which seams to have larger core tubes, but less of them.

Realistically I wouldn't of thought there would be that much difference in cooling efficiency, but clearly the original style 16v radiator is able to cope slightly better as it has a greater surface across it's core, I presume there must be slightly more coolant in the 16v engine compared to the 8v hence there being more core tubes.

I think they use roughly 6Ltrs of coolant but can't remember if it's more for the 16v

I might have an old manual somewhere to check.

Si

Yeh I've got your message cheers for taking the time to give the information. I have just spoken to Julien from vwheritage and he assures me the pictures for 191121253L will be that radiator I receive. I am hesitant though about buying a aluminium radiator that isn't of a reputable brand to be honest.

I've been doing some research online,

it appears some people have fitted that radiator from Heritage in their 16v, and not had any issues, but others have had higher temperatures, mine definitely ran a bit higher but up to about 90°c when driving, if you're concerned then best bet is to have a block test done, where they check for combustion fumes within cooling system, basically to rule out any internal problem causing your high temperature up to 110°c that you're getting.

Si