Popeye775

Tips for removing fuel injector harness

Hey all,

As the title suggests, I’m removing the fuel rail. I need a little help/suggestions on removing the wiring harness from the injector rail. I want to be as careful as possible to not break the old plastic. Any suggestions?

Thank you all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d suggest to remove the fuel rail+injectors and harness as a whole assembly.  Lubing the injectors with a little penetrating oil will aid in removal.  Wiggle the whole assembly to get penetrant around the o-rings.  It’s been awhile since I’ve done it but I may have had the valve cover off, as I was also doing the cams. Having the valve cover off made it easier to access the assembly.  Getting good leverage against a wooden paint stick and a pry bar under the rail was key.

I’d suggest to remove the fuel rail+injectors and harness as a whole assembly.  Lubing the injectors with a little penetrating oil will aid in removal.  Wiggle the whole assembly to get penetrant around the o-rings.  It’s been awhile since I’ve done it but I may have had the valve cover off, as I was also doing the cams. Having the valve cover off made it easier to access the assembly.  Getting good leverage against a wooden paint stick and a pry bar under the rail was key.

What about for getting the wiring harness off of the brackets connected to the block? Or are those brackets for the wiring harness connected to the rail?

6 hours ago, Popeye775 said:

What about for getting the wiring harness off of the brackets connected to the block? Or are those brackets for the wiring harness connected to the rail?

The brackets are bolted to the block.  It’s almost impossible to separate the plastic from the brackets without breaking.  You need access from underneath.  When the brackets are unbolted, the harness+brackets hang from the injector wires.

Edited by Bennitoapplebum
Spelling grammar

The brackets are bolted to the block.  It’s almost impossible to separate the plastic from the brackets without breaking.  You need access from underneath.  When the brackets are unbolted, the harness+brackets hang from the injector wires.

So might as well take the intake manifold off and go about it that way?

42 minutes ago, Popeye775 said:

So might as well take the intake manifold off and go about it that way?

Your application may be different and may not be needed. You *could* leave the harness there, and pull the injectors+rail out, but sneaking them around the harness was difficult as the wiring was very stiff on mine. 

It’s possible to reach the bolts with the manifold on.  But if you’re willing to take off the manifold for access it would be easier.  

It’s been awhile and I don’t have the same engine anymore, so I’m hoping more people can chime in on this.

Got them out. I pulled the intake manifold off, and was able to take the rail out separate from the wiring harness. Once the intake manifold was off, it was easy from there

Anybody seen this before? I was sent one injector with a different tip. The part number on that injector matches all the other ones but the tip is different. It’s the yellow one. Think it’ll still work??c827c87e036d3c2eb24fbf1de5edfb0f.jpg

I'd be more concerned about the spray pattern being different.  I'm not sure why they'd sent one with a different tip.  Are those the Bosch "Green Giants?" PN?

I’ll double check the part number for you sir. That’s what I’m concerned about. I don’t know if the spray pattern will be the same or not. I emailed the company and they said they would switch it out if I would like to

I'd be more concerned about the spray pattern being different.  I'm not sure why they'd sent one with a different tip.  Are those the Bosch "Green Giants?" PN?

They are GB Remanufactured injectors. I ordered from a website with lifetime warranty in case they ever go out I can get them replaced