harin

Slightly rusted driveshaft

Hi,

As per the title - is this level of pitting acceptable on driveshafts? I also need cv joint/boots etc so looks to be cheaper to get the whole assembly if these are too far gone. But, if these are acceptable I will give them a good clean and paint. 

Thanks

PXL_20241006_113441307.jpg

PXL_20241006_113443645.jpg

You will be fine to use them, its only surface pitting. To fully remove the rust pitting, will take bit of work. I would be tempted to get new axles with the CV's. Save they haslte of trying to clean them up. As if you dont remove all the pitted rust, then it will just come back through the paint.

I'd get them shot blasted and then upto you on powedercoat or paint. Alternatively if you have time you could use deox gel or even electrolysis to get rid of the rust.

I put J&R driveshafts on a few cars and never had any problems. They are pretty reasonable to buy for the Corrado.

https://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/volkswagen-corrado-2.9-petrol-1994/catalogue/drive-shafts-509 

Thanks both, given its a driveshaft it probably makes sense to replace these along with the joints. I have seen Deox gel before so might give that a go as interested to see how it works out. I definitely don't have a shortage of rust sports to test it on thats for sure!