Sign in to follow this  
whiteee

need help with leak... HELP NEEEDED!!! NOV 8TH

1800 16v using loads of water... appears to drip off of the area around the belts underneath engine on drivers side. Is this where the waterpump is? would this be a problem with the pump or connecting hoses? hows best to find out? jack car up and hav a look? sorry about total ignorance... novice here!

sorry in all honesty it cud be leaking anywhere... i hav only looked under engine after a run to notice this leak and this is where it was dripping from...

that's where the water pump is...

Jack her up and sling some axle stands under her and then switch her on and see if you can see where the water is coming from... It's normally reasonably easy to see if it's a proper drip... 8)

Obviously be VERY carefull of the moving parts at that end of the engine and also of the belts and other bits which can get hot... [/disclaimer]

cheers mate... i had thought it was there (seeing as its belt driven?) if it is from around pump... what wud need replacing? seals? o rings? pump???

pump (around £25 for the complete unit from Euro or GSF) and the O ring too... Pretty easy to do on the valvers as you won't need to remove the supercharger and other gubbins like on a G60... 8)

Oh, and yes, it's belt driven... 8)

Get hold of a Golf MKII Haynes manual as the engine is identical to the one used in the Golf... 8)

OK... over weekend i had a proper look and its coming from the water pump itself...

If i wanted to replace this - what other parts would i need? Jus the O ring - sorry to be a pain? whats it called on the GSF website?

cheers in advance henny... lol

http://www.gsfcarparts.com

Bits needed are a waterpump (complete) and the O ring to seal it to the block, thermostat and thermostat housing with O ring (may as well do that while you're in there) + 2L of the PINK Febi coolant (it's re-branded G12+) and probably some plasters for your skinned knuckles... ;) :lol:

17058 WATER PUMP-COMPLETE CO 4 Cyl 9/88 > £19.00

17626 THERMOSTAT CO 4 Cyl 9/88 > £4.00

Can't find the other bits online, give your local branch a ring and they'll find 'em for ya! :) 8)

Sweet... mite buy a new header tank too... cos the dodgy orange one isnt that appealin to the eye and err... in the sun not too easy to see how much water is in there... although that should be made easier with the coolant in there!

cheers

if you do get an expansion tank, get a genuine one, the Euro and GSF ones are shockingly bad quality... :| I managed to pop one and I took the other back as it had palstic swarf hanging off inside it... :mad:

Still reasonably cheap for a VAG one though... 8)

Actually got round to change the water pump today (car been off road a while...) Taken alternator off - next do i take the plate off then the pump? i dont want to take too much off and the golf haynes manual isnt overly clear - sorry i am a novice - HELP PLEASE... only hav daylight hours to complete! :? :(

yup, that's correct whiteee...

Alternator off, alternator/P/S brackets off, water pump off.

clean block around seal area.

fit new pump, refit other bits, re-fill coolant, drive! 8)

HENNY You are a star didnt think it would b long before you reply - im having problems removing the plate/bracket over the pump - i have taken off the 4 nuts and the bolt that runs through bottom but its that area that wont come free? almost like one end is held in with a sleeve or something? i cant get in there to see tho?

there's a second bolt behind which hold the P/S pump on... it's at the bottom and goes in from the gearbox side... You'll have to search for it as it's quite well hidden, but you'll find it! ;) :lol:

GSF ones are shockingly bad quality...

Ahh-so (say it quickly in a high voice - you'll get the idea where we get them from :wink: )