Sign in to follow this  
G60

The G60 Rebuild Endevour

i'm going to document the rebuild of my G60 g-lader here.. along with before/after results. i've gone back through and shaved my posts down a little since this got a little long.

PO said the charger was rebuilt by the guy before him (thats 3-6 years ago now) but he had no documentation or nothin, and it hasn't been ported, as far as i can tell.

68mm pulley that pulls real hard to 10psi, then crawls to 12psi, which sounds like a sick g-lader..

i was going to try to wait until next winter to rebuild it, however, i decided now's the time, before the shit grenades.

needless to say, the g-lader paranoia (you G60 guys know what i'm talking about has) has become a source of stress and uncertainty as i'm preparing to get my car back out on the road for the summer.

i talked to dave (Kompressor Kanada) and he gave me a lot of confidence in the simplicity of the rebuild process.. he even called me back at home after seeing on his call display that he missed a call from me. :thumbleft:

the removal instructions can be found on their site.. its a pretty straight forward job, but his instructions include the tools you need which is helpful if you're brutal at guessin bolt sizes, like me! (side note: his instructions say you need 2 wobbles to get the silencer box off.. i just took it off in two pieces and needed no special tools.. also, one mounting bolt was 13mm, not 14mm like it says)

after getting the silencer box off, i noticed a feckin cracked off bit on the edge by where the two halves meet!! i'm sure this is part of my boost problem. i thought about just buying the rallye outlet to solve the cracked box problem and moving on with life for about 2 seconds.. then continued taking the charger off..

now it sits on my bedroom floor, probably gettin oil on my mum's carpet. if i wouldn't have had to make a trip into town for a 6mm allen socket, it would have taken an hour or a little under to get it out of the car.

i'm shipping it out to kk overnight express on my lunch break, which from where i am will only cost me about $20-25 CDN each way.. not too bad for shipping cost, i hear he's done chargers from sweden, germany... few places on the other side of the water.. sure it cost them a fair bit to ship it!

he's going to crack it open, inspect and take some pics and let me know what it needs. i'm hoping just the tune-up is required, but i'm fairly positive i'll end up going for the full nine yards just to be sure.

oh and ... did i not mention .... stage 4 porting? :twisted: :D

still haven't decided if i'll have him paint it black, or if i'll have it polished up bling stylee along with the valve cover. i'm also going to grab a rallye outlet and an sns stage 3... while i wait for my stage 5-5 to arrive.

hopin to have it back to me early next week.

i'll try to snap some pics before i send it out.. and i'll post any other pics here as well.

if you made it this far, thanks for reading.. :D

pictures..notice the missing bolt and the spot of oil in the first pic. thanks PO! even if i put a new bolt in, i'm told the seal has already shifted :x

off to the post office!

haha.. for sure lowG.

$23.43 canadian to ship expresspost overnight, after tax and $1500 insurance. it weighed 12kg.

now the waiting game! :? 8)

lol. no chance. already runnin rich enough with the buggered o2 sensor.

i have enough work to do on that thing, don't need to waste my time drivin it around like its an 8v golf! :lol:

well, its 5:40 and canada post is all shut down for the day... without delivering my overnight express priority package to kk. so i get to go home and have a nice relaxing weekend wondering if they lost it. woo! fuckers.. :x

charger made its way to kk early yesterday morning, dave cracked it open and the internals are all good :D

it had been rebuilt previously, and whoever did it used 'the good stuff'. when they put it back together, an apex seal shifted and so that caused a bit of a problem, which would have eventually been a big problem.. but dave caught it so now its all good.

side note to new G60 owners: this is why you get your charger rebuilt even if you think its fine.. mine was puttin out 12psi with a cracked silencer box.. and it was still a bit messed up inside. check out the pics.. you can see the scuffs starting on the displacer.

EDIT: in a dumbass move by dave he's deleted all my pics, and does not have backups. :x :x

dave says now he's halfway done: torn down, cleaned, porting on pulley side casing, prep'd the outside casing, now still have to knife edge the outlet and reassemble, rallye outlet is as matched as it can be, it smoked a $100 cutting bit.

:shock: :lol: hehehe.

he says he should have it back to me for this weekend... must say, thats unbelievable customer service. :)

i just need to decide what finish i want.........

wont let me in to your pics.. says im not the owner of the album.

i went with the black paint job too lowG :vamp:

Where did you get it done in black? Looks well stealthy, would look good in the bay of my black G60?

from the guy i bought it from,its been sprayed with a heat resistant paint i believe.

had a rough day... what better lift the spirits than getting news back about my uber-ported charger! :D

word from dave is that 'its the best work we've done', better than their own chargers. these guys kick ass! i've attatched some pics.. keep in mind 90% of the work he's done, you can't see, its inside the charger :thumbleft:

got the charger back just after 9am this morning completely rebuilt, ported and knife-edged with 3-fin knife-edged rallye outlet, 68mm serp belt, sns stage 3 and sns stage 5-5 chips... thats about 100 hours after it showed up at kompressor kanada's door. props to dave and those guys for excellent service and unbelievable turnaround. :thumbleft: ..and thanks to sns for getting some 5-5s up to us canucks so quick. :)

it looks pretty, i can't wait to get it in the car. turns out when i measured again, that it IS only a 68mm pulley on there, not 65mm like i measured last summer.. . .. .i must have been drunk. :roll: now i still have room to go to a 65mm if i want.

nice :D ,i just got my charger chip and pulley 4 days ago,installed the chip and im removing the water pump nowputing a new one as its worth it as the charger and the bracket is out. just finished painting the charger bracket in red after diping it in HCL hydrochloric acid to remove all that grease,looks real nice. G60 are you going to set up your ingnition to 6 degrees? This is what i was told im suppost to do but i dont know how,can anyone help!!!

i think its already advanced on my car... but ya, i'll be setting this all up again after i talk to sam and jwatts at sns.

pretty sure you just loosen the distributor and turn it forward 6 degrees..tighten 8)

you might want to mess with your mixture at the CO pot as well... i need an air/fuel gauge dammit, i keep forgetting!!! :x

ok, been a while.. i've got a few pics to post and a quick update.

got the charger in the car last night. i waited cuz i'm doing bodywork so i can't drive it anyway. i wanted one of my buddies to give me a hand but they all ended up flakin out on me.. so my girl came out with me and helped me put the charger in.. now is that true love or what!! :profileright: :profileleft:

the front end of the car is still at the paintshop, so i don't have any headlights yet. it was after midnight by the time we got it all buttoned up, so i just took it down to the end of my grandmothers lane and back up again.. man it feels good to drive it again! even if its only at 1500rpm in 2nd. :lol:

charger04.jpg

charger03.jpg

charger02.jpg

charger01.jpg

floor.jpg

chips.jpg

front_off.jpg

for those that dont know

WOT = Wide Open Throttle

However the Boost valve opens at 3000 G60, so thats sounds good and about correct too

the boost bleed-off valve? its always open... it closes gradually with the throttle and closes completely 5 degrees before WOT.

the_new_vw_corrado_pg11.jpg