Sign in to follow this  
G60Dan

Golf G60 intercooler - not rallye

The Golf G60 intercooler is what I've got on my car, it's sodding enormous and VERY efficient! :) 8) definately worth the money they go for (should be around £400 -> £500 with all pipes and 180degree charger outlet)

To be honest, it's difficult to get worse than the original Corrado intercooler 'cos it was soooooo small and just got heatsoaked sooo quickly... The aircon Golf's version is about double the size of the standard Corrado intercooler and sits on top of the engine just perfectly where it can get sod all air flow and get nicely heated by the engine... avoid as much as you can! ;)

The Golf G60 i/c is also fitted to my car... I don't have any pics to hand because it sits in front of the radiator and under the slam panel so basically you can't see it unless you remove the grille (which I could try and do later if I remeber for you!) but its pretty similarly sized to the radiator.

You'll notice its there - its a great mod :)

Dan, if its an IC from a Golf with air con it might be the smaller version which sits in the engine bay beside the battery not

a front mounted one. If its cheap thats probably the reason.

Dan, if its an IC from a Golf with air con it might be the smaller version which sits in the engine bay beside the battery not

a front mounted one. If its cheap thats probably the reason.

it's looking that way :roll: :( But would it be better than the std corrado one?

You could always try plumbing the Golf one in aswell as your Corrado one. Or just get a Merc Sprinter IC.

You could try dropping Darren / g-man a PM - he might have a Golf G60 intercooler in his garage for sale, or might know of someone he could get one from?

No not at the momment Dan. Just try your comercial breakers yards found in the back of Auto Trader etc. Good Luck.

You could try dropping Darren / g-man a PM - he might have a Golf G60 intercooler in his garage for sale, or might know of someone he could get one from?

I haven't got £400 just lying about unfortunately - Chargers getting serviced/upgraded at the end of the month so looking for a cheaper option right now :wink:

Cheers paul, will have a look

what's the exact model it comes off of? Or will everywhere know what I'm on about if I just ask for a merc sprinter intercooler? And how much should I be expecting to pay do you think?

what's the exact model it comes off of? Or will everywhere know what I'm on about if I just ask for a merc sprinter intercooler?

They should know what your on about. Any TD Merc Sprinter Van should be the same.

as stated above, the airconditioned golfs had a smaller intercooler which would get as near as damn it NO airflow through it if used on a Corrado... They weren't much good on the golf, so they'd be bloody awful on a Corrado!

The NON air-con Golf G60 intercooler is full width... here's a pic of mine just as I was fitting it, you can see the radiator behind it is small in comparison! :| 8)

download.php?id=5059

An important thing to remember when selecting an intercooler is the pipework... if the pipes are in the wrong places then you'll either make it far too much work for the intercooler to be viable, or you'll need so much pipework with so many twists and turns that the flow through the cooler will be pants and you may as well just fart into the throttle instead of having the supercharger! :lol:

:shock: Christ! How does the size of that compare to the rallye one?

What's the going rate for one?

Do you have any pic's of the pipe work? Was it much work?

the rallye one is identical in core size, it's only the inlet which is different (closest in that pic)... 8)

The Golf one just bolts straight into the Corrado with a very few minor alterations to allow clearance for the headlamps... 8)

After I'd worked out which bits needed modding on the front of the intercooler and attacked it with my anglegrinder it took about an hour to fit it including all of the pipework and everything... 8)

As Henny said in his first post Dan, about £400/£500 should find you a complete Golf G60 intercooler kit :)

As Henny said in his first post Dan, about £400/£500 should find you a complete Golf G60 intercooler kit :)

DOH!

oh well, plan "B" :roll:

If you get a second hand intercooler, make sure that the rubber pipes are in excellent condition... :| I'm in the process of replacing mine after I've burst one (don't ask! :roll: ) VAG prices for rubber pipes are truely horrible... :cry:

Supercharger outlet to Intercooler £105.57

Intercooler to Plastic pipe £57.21

Pipe to Throttle body £75.18

Gasket for Supercharger outlet £22.77

All + VAT! :crazyeyes: :mad:

You need all 3 of those rubber pipes, the 180degree supercharger outlet pipe (with support bracket) plastic pipe (which houses the CO pot) and the actual intercooler itself to make up the full kit... 8) Just don't ask VAG how much they want for a new intercooler unless you're off you head on something strong! :crazyeyes: :x

If you get a second hand intercooler, make sure that the rubber pipes are in excellent condition... :| I'm in the process of replacing mine after I've burst one (don't ask! :roll: ) VAG prices for rubber pipes are truely horrible... :cry:

Supercharger outlet to Intercooler £105.57

Intercooler to Plastic pipe £57.21

Pipe to Throttle body £75.18

Gasket for Supercharger outlet £22.77

All + VAT! :crazyeyes: :mad:

You need all 3 of those rubber pipes, the 180degree supercharger outlet pipe (with support bracket) plastic pipe (which houses the CO pot) and the actual intercooler itself to make up the full kit... 8) Just don't ask VAG how much they want for a new intercooler unless you're off you head on something strong! :crazyeyes: :x

surely silicones would be cheaper!! :shock:

You can get silicone ones from Germany and avoid Samco and their stupid waiting list times entirely! :D :lol: 8) (mine should be here within the next 24 hours! :D ) Even VW stated 5 to 10 working days to get the pipes over here... :roll:

Henny, I've just seen your new pipes on the Dubforce thread. They look well smart!

I've still got a set of Samco coolant hoses to go on mine. Will I ever get round to getting things done?? :roll: