Sign in to follow this  
Blinky16v

Bad idle and occasioanl stalling

Hi Guys & Gals,

Ok seem this topic come up frequently and followed the advice given but still no joy, I'll forgive anyone for yawning and closing this thread but if someone has had a similar issue please let me know.

My car hunts at idle and occasioanlly stalls when I stop at say traffic lights/ junction. When I pull awayand floor it in 1st gear it has a flat spot and eventually springs into life wheel spinning and sprinting off.

I have:

1) Changed the ISV for 3 seperate working ones (1 brand new) - still same problem

2) Put 3 ECU's in 2 second hand 1 brand new -still same problem

3) Checked for air vacuum leaks and replaced pipework using carb clearner, no leaks - still same problem

4) Changed the water temp sensor 0 still same problem

5) The cat and exhaust have been replaced by a powerflow stainless system - still same problem

6) changed the distributor cap - still same problem

7) Battery and contacts are all fine

The car does not misfire

MPG is 34 on a motorway and 25 round town (so normal)

I have to say I'm f'ing stumped on this one, no garages in my locality (South West London) will touch it, the local VW dealers are as much use as a snooze button on a smoke detector. The amount of money I am spending trying to sort this is rapidly digging into my resolve to keep the car, I love driving the car but cannot keep forking out money hand over fist to sort this problem out.

Sooooo does anyone know of any good (trustworthy) mechanics, garages anywhere in London/ Sussex/ Surrey/ Buckinghamshire/ Hampshire who could sort this once and for all? I am at my wits end and after my missus nearly killed herself over the weekend when it stalled and I am rapidly thinking of binning the bloody thing for my own piece of mind.

Any help would be appreciated guys... arrgghhhh!

OK, from your forum name, I'm guessing it's a 2.0 16V... some more details on the model would be useful... ;)

Have a word with John Mitchell (16VG60) as he's down in Rustington and (if he can squeeze you in) should be able to sort out your problem... 8)

DOH, sorry about that... its a 1993 "L reg" 2.0L 16v

Engines Mods:

K&N Air Filter

Stainless Powerflow system with Cat

Big thanks Henny, I'll see if I can get hold of John!

I'd be thinking along the lines of Dizzy and hall sender to be honest, but John's got the kit and should be able to test all that lot if you can get booked in with him.... 8)