Sign in to follow this  
russ360

Electric Window and locking problem

:shock:

Can anyone please give me some guidance to why my electric windows are not working on my 90 1.8 16v corrado? I bought the car with this fault and i'm having trouble finding the cure!!

Have tested all fuses and made sure there is power to both switch and motor yet the windows still do nothing?? I'm hoping i do not need new motors. Has anyone else had this or a similar problem? There is still an alarm in place which does not work so this may be part of the problem?

Thanks

Russ

:shock:

check the following...

are all switches wired in?

did you check the 20A fuse (not on the fuse-board, but on a seperate wire)?

do the switches light up when the vehicle lights are on?

Do you have a multimeter? if so check the voltage between the red wire coming into a switch, and any brown or black/blue wire going into the switch (there are two of each). there should be a 12V difference. Also, check the same from the red/blue wire coming into the switch to the brown and blue/black wires....

what does the alarm do? Or, well, what should it do? Is it meant to close windows as well as lock doors? If so then this is most likely to be the problem. Don't despair, things can be put right! :lol:

I've just been through the mill with my 1990 16v puppy, and if I can get them working, anyone can!!!! :)

deag.

I have checked that the fuse is ok and there is current going to the switch and the motor. Also if i press the switch you can see the voltage change according to whether i press up or down!

The alram does nothing. I have no fob for it so assume its been disconnected but could this be the problem?

If i attach the window motor direct to a 12v battery it should try to move up and then proving that the motors are ok??? Is this wise?? Could i blow the motor?

I'm convinced its the alarm but don't want to pay out lots for a new alarm to be fitted if the windows don't get fixed with it.

any other ideas?

Russ

thanks

Russ,

by all means wire the motors up direct, but do it with the wiring into one of the switches (ie one of the red ones, and one of the brown returns).

This way all you'll blow is the 20A fuse. :)

So take one red wire, and one brown wire. Before you connect them to the motor, check there's 12V across them. Then take out the fuse, wire them in, put the fuse back in and see what happens. Even if the window is fully up, and you've wired it to go up, you'll hear it engage, and see the door frame flex slightly.

If there's no life at this point, do the same wiring on the opposite motor (chances are both won't be blown).

If at this point, you still have no life, I suggest trying a different motor (one you know is working), or some different actuator (for example the power mirrors)

Also check the wiring along as much of it as can be seen. Make sure no other wires have been introduced along the lengths. Basically, the loom should be unbroken from each door to the fuse board (you may have to remove pass and driver's knee-rolls to do this). If someone's frigged with the wiring, you'll probably be able to see it, and hence put it right.

I hope you can get something out of that, if not, keep posting....

deag.

Thanks deag,

Will give it a go this weekend and see how i get on!!! fingers crossed!!!

Thanks for your advice

:D

if no joy try undoeing the four torx screws that hold the motor cover on ( the silver cover over the arbor ) and pull the cover back slightly and then put back in 1 screw and press the switch, if it now moves you need to take out the motor remove the cover and you will see where the motor brushes run against the arbour. clean these faces as best as you can and reassemble and retry. NOTE the cover must go on the same way or else the window will go the wrong way.

good luck :D

Have attached the motors dirct to the battery and they worked fine so now know the motors are ok.

Still think it could be the alarm thats causing the probs and intend to have a new one fitted once i've finished the body work that needs doing.

Thanks for all the advice to date. Starting to get somewhere now! :D

On another question any advice on the best suspension upgrade to get? Shocks and springs and price.

Russ

It kinda works the other way around with suspension Russ...

Pick a price and then see what's the best in that range for what you want... ;) 8) You can spend silly money on suspension and get a set up that most people will hate but a few will rave about, similar amounts and nearly everyone will like it, or spend not a lot and get a setup which NO ONE will like! :lol: It's all a question of price and what you want out of the car... 8)

Hi folks,

Still having problems with my electric windows!!!

Have tested the motors and they work fine and have tested power to the switches and thats ok too. Does anyone out there know what Relay is used for the electric windows? Its the only thing left to try but not sure which one it is (If any).