Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

what the hell is this?

Hey, any info on what this is would be very helpful. I have just taken the boot apart to try and get rid of a rattle... yes one rattle, and this falls out when the plastic backing is taken off? and now the spoiler has started squeaking when it goes up? It's spring loaded and looks as if something has snapped off the end (which I can't find)

its the spring asist for opening the boot. Basically when you open the boot with your thumb, this little device pops open the boot so you can get your fingers under the boot to lift it.

I take them off and chuck them in the bin though, you have to really slam the boot to get it to close with it fitted. Now I just drop the boot lid from a few inches and it closes effortlessly. I say junk it and fit a grommet in its place.

Ah yes that would work, thanks, just noticed a whole on the boot, looks like it should lock in place but the end has snapped off, don't remember it ever being there. Will probably use your grommet idea thanks very much!

I'll have another look at the spoiler then, I tightened up a few bolts and it started squeaking maybe a bit of grease or something will do the trick.