Sign in to follow this  
ving60

exhaust woes

Hi all,

I have a 92' G60 an my backbox bracket has just snapped so i think it's time to replace the entire system (CAT back).

Just wondered if any of you guys can recommend any?? I know there are fitting problems with some manufactures so any help would be grealty appreciated.

Short answer. Standard.

I have had four years of pi55ing about with G60 exhausts and honestly you can't beat a standard system.

Fair enough they don't look great out the back (thats why mine is completely hidden, behind a flushed bumper) but in every other way a standard system is best.

Every exhaust I have tried has never fitted perfectly and will probably knock on the rear beam if your car is more than slightly lowered. The G60 produces so much heat into the exhaust system, but still needs silencers unlike a turbo, which concentrates the heat even more. This means it shifts and contorts as stainless does that under heat.

Admitedly stainless would be nice for long life, but an original steel system will last more than long enough for most people.

I have de-catted mine with a Supersprint de-cat pipe, but the car produces 200BHP and 193lb/ft with just a chip and pulley and feels much more torquey with the standard exhaust that with a big open system I had before.

Obviously people will beg to differ, but I bet if most people with stainless systems and big exhausts on G60's are honest, the nicest noise is still the charger not the exhaust and driving day in, day out is much nicer with a quiet exhaust, especially on long journeys.

2p Ker plink.

Jay