Sign in to follow this  
biggrim

Uprated Discs and pads on G60

Just found out that I have a warped disc on the front left of my G60. Was going to get Black Diamond cross-drilled and grooved discs with predator pads. Pagid grooved pads were recommended also but don't know what is best. Cross-drilled, grooved or a combination of both? Any suggestions? Porsche swear by cross-drilled but looking for C owners opinions on what they have had. Got about £200 to play with. Cheers, Grim

got EBC turbo groove discs. currently running ate pads. was running green stuff but they kill discs in no time. they retain far too much heat.

im gonna try ferodo DS2000 next or brembo 4-pots cash depending

I'm using Red Dot 6 groove disks and pads on mine. There have been a few road tests and the Red Dots have come out on top on a few occassions.

For a start, you dont really need cross drilled discs. The only cars that need them are cars that have problems with over heating brakes due to high power usually with a combination of weight and drivetrain etc... Porsche, cossies etc.. For sheer performance you need Grooved discs with race pads. a bit extreme for the road.

So what your looking for are grooved discs with fast road pads or drilled and grooved discs with the pads.

Both are fine, personally i use TAROX drilled and grooved discs and their fast road pads and think these are excellent, the holes stop fade and the grooves deglaze the pads. Discs that are just grooved also do a very efficient job of removing heat due to their design.

So, basically it just comes down to what you think looks better! Thats basically why i chose mines.

I used to run Pagid pads and i really hated them! though lots run them with no complaints so i guess its personal taste.

HTH

Seems like good advice Brian.

Worth noting though that on the downside of grooved discs is that they eat pads a lot quicker. A reasonable trade-off though for a really good braking setup.

I think that when the time comes to renew mine, I will be speaking with Darren about a brembo cupra brake setup.

Yeah, they do eat pads quicker, which unfortunatly leads to more brake dust!!! :cry:

But as you say, its definatly worth the trade off!!! Again, it all depends to how you treat your discs too. I have heard of people cracking some brands of drilled discs but if you aint doing track days or massively heavy braking you should be ok and a lot of manufacturers now have protected against that i think.

In the end, i still say its down to basic looks as the all do look different. I do know someone who cleans his brakes every two days at work (and that was on std. brakes) so if your that dedicated, the dust issue wont be a problem!!! :wink:

I've been talking to one of the guys at BEDROCK VEEDUBS and he's been telling me of a set up that they do. It involves standard VAG discs which they send off to be cross-drilled combined with some Pagid fast road pads. All for £179.93. What do you guys think? From VENOMMOTORSPORT I can get a set of Black Diamond combination discs and perdator pads for £195 inc VAT & delivery. What should I do? Doesn't seem like much difference in price for what seem like two very different set-ups. Don't mind spending £150-£200 on them.

Well, Since i really hate Pagid, id say go for the black diamond stuff, they also seem t get good write ups too. Seems like a good price too. My TarOx stuff works out at around the £250 mark. Though the Brembo 4 pot Cupra R setup ill be getting next looks like it will be well ove £800!!!!! And the PD Motorsport rear 280mm setup i want! 8) Still, better to stop than not! :lol:

Got Zimmermann drilled discs with EBC pads. IMO a good combination. Had the EBC discs with their pads and they were great too although the price was the bitch :mad: