Sign in to follow this  
Heardy

Radaitor fan removal on VR6

Yes, it is possible yet I do not suggest it. You will most likely damage the radiator in the process. There are 5 bolts which hold the fan shroud to the radiator. 1 at each corner and then 1 at the top on the passenger side (it holds the a/c condensor to the radiator if you have one). The fans have plastic trim guides, to remove simply press the locking post from the inside outward with a pick. As I'm not familiar with the UK setups I'm going from US spec memory here.

R

i've just changed my radiator without taking the bumper off wasn't that bad took me 3 hours with a tea break

there is a quick guide on here somewhere

simple steps are :

drain system

whilst draining remove battery and move all cables out the way

once drained remove top and bottom hoses and temp sensor bend hose's back to give more space

remove grill and undo bolts that hold the rad on to the two sidepanels on and push them out to the sides this will help you tilt rad forward for more space.

unbolt the fan setup to remove you have to wiggle it along towards the empty battery space whilst lifting the end until it's vertical and you can slip it out same goes for rad.

the rad has 2 rubber washers on pegs on the bottom these will be needed for the new one.

putting the new one in is the hard bit i put the rad in but left it sitting loose so you can tilt it foward then slip the fan in behind, bolt the fan to the rad and then locate the rad on the pegs and bolt it back up.

i found it to be a lot easier than people on here were making out and i'm by no mean's an expert with the spanners

just remember to re-fill the rad from the the top hose to prevent an air lock.

this is very brief any questions give me a shout but give it a go you will save a packet on labour

i also ghanged the rad without removing anything but the battery.

if you are just removing the fan its the easy bit.

once the battery is off, if i remember correctly undo the screws holding the fan and then tilt the bottom of the housing back towards the engine drop the drivers side and bring the fan up past the battery space

IT WILL GO just go gently !