Sign in to follow this  
olly elworthy

clutch prob

driving along yesterday and the clutch started to feel weird like it was biting lower and lower until it would not release,, after getting the car safely off of the dual carraigeway i pulled into a layby and had an investigation,, undid the bleed nipple on the clutch slave cylender and got some air out, clutch worked untiul i got home but was getting worse and worse, Im thinking the slave cyl is prob on its last legs and allowing air into the system, any of you folks had similar experiences? oh the clutch pedal would always return to the top of its travel even when it wasnt disengaging also,,,

yup, the clutch pedal has it's own return spring, so that explains that bit for you...

New slave cylinder for you I think... also check the flexy pipe with the coil of pipe in it which feeds the slave cylinder... these have a habbit of leaking from the flexible part which can cause similar problems...

Thnaks henny,,,

flexi pipe looks ok, what was interesting though is that it seems to move a bit as you apply the clutch pedal,,, think i may upgrade and get HEL, our local braided hose fabricator to mahe me up a stainless braided one,when im feeling a bit bored, will whip down to gsf at lunch and get a new slave,,, try that this eve,,, do you have to disconnect the gear shift cables to get the cyl out or will it wriggle out,, also the gearbox mounting looks a bit close to it,,,

it's designed to move, hence the coil of pipe in it... if it's not leaking, leave it alone... I don't think it's really worth upgrading the pipe to braided as there's sod all pressure in the pipe compared with a brake pipe... 8)

Dunno about getting the slave out without the cables... I built mine up with the engine in my garage so didn't have the cables anywhere near it! ;) :lol:

yes you can remove the slave with the shift cables still in place and the gearbox mount.

just undo the two mounting bolts and remove it towards the rear oh the car it should be under a bit of tension as the slave is spring loaded

i spent all day saturday changing the clutch on mine on my own :cry:

thats no fun,, allot easier with two sets of hands when taking a box out and doing a clutch in car, surprising how heavy those boxes are when your reaching down through the engine bay,,,

thats no fun,, allot easier with two sets of hands when taking a box out and doing a clutch in car, surprising how heavy those boxes are when your reaching down through the engine bay,,,

tell me about it i have the bruises on my arms to prove it and my fingers got cut to shreds on the bell housing edges.

as the c was jacked up so high i didnt want to risk denting the wing by leaning on it so i dropped the box on my arm from underneath :shock: im sure it didnt hurt that much when i changed the clutch on a mates tipo :lol:

was also a good excuse to gunk the gearbox 8)

did the gearbox on my golf driver this saturday, so I can sympathise with the bruises cuts and scrapes... and I had a mechanic helping me too! :oops:

well i changed the cyl last night and what an improvement, the clutch feels like new and the gearchange is oh so silky now, wish i done it ages ago, but like all these things you keep putting them off until its too late and your car is disabled,,,

was an easy job too once i got the pipe nipple undone, cheers for your guidance chaps, im loving my rrado even more now!! :D