Sign in to follow this  
vwcr

1.8 16v Radiator Removal

Thanks guys for help on last post just wondering best way to get the rad out.

I have taken the fan out and the top two bolts of the rad.

Since that taken front grill off to find four more bolts holding the rad in do i need to take bumper off to get to these or not??

Nooooh, don't take the bumper off! It's been quite some time since I did mine, so can't remeber too much detail, but you definately don't need to go to extremes of taking bumper off! Can't remember exactly but it's either two bolts each side of the rad in the engine bay, or two bolts at top allowing you to pull rad upwards and out of locating pegs at bottom. Not a very drastic job on a 16v sounds to me like you are almost there to me. Have you got the new one to see where the fitting points are? It's all accesible from inside the engine bay quite easily.

Just ordered new one, so in the middle of taking the old one out. i have taken four bolts off the fan and two out the top of the rad which had removable metal brackets.

The rad is bolted to what looks like a plastic hood which sits behind the grill and from looking throught the hole where the grill normally is i can see four bolts holding it to the plastic

Just gone to take a look to refresh my memory..... Once you have taken the black plastic top panel off which sits above the rad, and unbolted the fan and it's plastic support strut (don't break this as it took four months for VW to get me one from Germany), and the black metal shroud which the fan runs in and is bolted to the rad, and removed the water pipes......the rad. itself is as I recall held in place with two brackets which are bolted to the top of the slam panel (the painted bit which runs across the engine bay just in front of the rad.) Look at the slam panel, there will be two bolt heads holding two black painted metal angles. These metal angles go through to sit in to the top of the rad and hold it in place. I am sure that with all the other bits above removed, and these bolts undone, the whole rad will lift upwards and out. It may take abit of persuasion to get it moving, as I beleive the bottom of the rad sits in two locating holes, wth a rubber lining.

yeah done all that but to me it looks like its bolted from behind in to plastic 2 bolts behind passenger side headlamp and then one behind the horn and one just under it.

Unless i can pull all that out and change that on to the new rad once its out

there are 2 air channeling pieces of plastic either side of the radiator beside the headlamps which funnel the air into the radiator. These are held on with several bolts (sorry, can't remember how many, it's 4 years since I owned a valver) you need to undo these and the rad will drop back into the engine bay and simply lift out...