Sign in to follow this  
S0NIC

Electric windows not working when the doors are shut???

My electric windows have a strange fault - they have stopped working if the doors are shut.

Door open and they start working again?? the auto closure alarm shuts the window as normal.

The illumination on the switches no longer light and also the mirror controls have stopped working.

Any help on this would be most appreciated.

Sonic

It sounds like a broken wire or two in the loom where it goes through the bellows in the doorframe - when you open the door and it straightens out, the contact is re-established. Or maybe some sort of fault associated with the cabin light microswitch which is operated by opening the door(s).

Best wishes

RB

The windows should work when the ignition is on no matter if the drivers door is open or closed. When the ignition is then turned off, the windows should keep working as normal until the driver's door is opened and then closed, at which point the switches should become dead UNLESS the driver's door is re-opened and the switches are pressed with the door open, in which case the windows should work as normal...

To me, this sounds like a fault on the wiring to the window control box.

Odds are that you have a dodgy ignition live to the control box or a fault in the control box itself. Check your fuses carefully (although this is unlikely) and check that the connector onto the window control box (behind the drivers rear door card) is attached properly...

As daft as it sounds, have you had any other problems with electrics associated with the ignition feed? This could be an ignition switch problem... :?

you may not believe me but plug your car into vagcom and clear any faults.....i did this at the weekend and mysteriously my passenger window starts working again....now it could have been complete fluke / coinsidence but its worth a try!

check either fuse 14 or 15 cant remember which,, the windows will go up and down with the drivers door open wether the fuse has gone or not, the same fuse operates the reversing lights and the electric mirrors and the heated washer jets, mine kept blowing with the same problem until i unplugged the heated washer jets,,

Thanks for the replies...

...I've just read the other posts in the link above where it states the reversing lights are also effected - bad news as it's currently in for MOT and now sure to fail. The fault must have occured after I had check all the lights were opperating correctly - seriously bad timing.

I had a similar fault on my old golf. Took of the door card (drivers side) and checked all the wiring. looked OK. so I unclipped the cable bundle and saw that it had got water into the contacts. Dried this and worked perfect ever since.