Sign in to follow this  
Blinky16v

Changing the Mass Air Flow Meter

Hello again,

Anyone changed one of these? I have a 16v C 9A engine type with the Bosch MAF. Looks stright forward enough to change but if any knows of any trip me ups I'd sure appreciate knowing about them..

Thanks in advance

Sorry to disappoint but 16v never came with MAF's only VR6's

do you mean the metering head where all the fuel lines come out of ???

Hi Alex,

Seriously? Geeee's VW dealers are pants! It must be the metering head then bud, it sits on top of the air filter lid and does have fuel lines running out of it. It seems easy enough to change... but a chimp with a spanner is more competant a mechanic them me... :oops:

Thats good news... cheers for the quick responce.

Problem is that the car does not idle, has a very bad flat spot when you floor it, seems to run a tad rich (popping when you decelerate) and when it does decide to idle it sits at 900 rpm then jumps to 1100 rpm then dies... There are no vacuum leaks, I am on my 3rd ECU, 2nd ISV, new dizzy, plugs and leads.. the list goes on but I took the car to Bosch and the system showed this unit as having a problem, so out it comes. Had the problem for a year now and just want it sorted or I am gonna have to sell it and I am reluctant to do that...

mate have u checked the vacum hoses at the bottom and on the induction pipe ???

its also common for them to come lose or have a leak causing these problems

at the back of the air box and under the plastic tubing that goes to the throtle body

last guy that had the same sort of problems as u mentiong found out there was a sensor disconnected back there and the car run fine after that

I'll take a look tonight m8, I did have a good spray of Carb Cleaner down that neckof the woods when the car was idling a while ago and there was no difference in engine revs... No harm having another look mind you, cheers for the info bud.