Hello and thanks for checking out my 1.9TDI VW Corrado. I have been contemplating selling for a while as my other half has just bought a new runabout and my MK1 project is almost complete.
So in at the deepend - If you are one of those people that gets flustered about mileage and history of a car – then this probably isn’t the car for you. If you want a reliable clean, solid car – please read on.
This Corrado came to me after I found I was covering about 100 miles a day for work, and lets be honest, while a MK3 golf is reliable and efficient- they are hateful.
The Corrado TDI was born.
The car started life as a 2.0 16V. It’s petrol heart was removed to be replaced with a 1996 TDI from a MK3 Golf – complex enough to be smooth and reliable, but simple enough any old fuel wont upset it – the Veg TDI Daily Kebab was born.
I intended to go round the whole thing to renew everything at the end of last year, but I have too many projects on the go, recent house purchase and I need to reduce my commitments. Not really any desperate rush to sell, but I thought I'd try the water.
10 months MOT and 201000 (will increase) on the clock, logbog is consistent with the engine change.
• More or less bone standard 1996 1.9 TDI 1z (approx 130k)
• decat downpipe and stainless cat back 2.5”
• Renewed cone filter
• Renewed boost control hoses
• Renewed boost control valve
• Renewed MAF
• Cleaned intake & EGR Blocked.
• Front mount intercooler
• Renewed Clutch master cylinders (the expensive little genuine only one)
• 02J Gear shift upgrade (pff you should try an 02A after wards lol)
• Renewed engine & box mounts
If tuning is your thing, a remap and some injectors could see a good hike in power.
• The colour is it’s original LC5U, but instead of a black base it has silver to lighten it up. paintwork isn't show winning, but OK. Bit patchy/mismatchy in places.
• Renewed windscreen & seals
• Colour coded handles
• Refreshed plastics
• Renewed sunroof seal
• Powdercoated bumper supports
• Powdercoated tank straps
The whole shell has had a good going over to remove any minor rust, the inner arches and lower panels have been replaced with new clean steel that was all primed with epoxy mastic.
Another famous rotting place for corrados is around the windscreen. This is all solid.
Suspension and Brakes
• The car has been tastefully and practically dropped on springs and shocks.
• ALL the bushes inc ARB and rear beam have been renewed
• The topmounts, ball joints, suspension arms have all been renewed
• All 4 wheel bearing have been renewed
• 280mm brake set up with Porsche 986 Brembos
• 25mm upgraded master cylinder
• New Discs front and rear and new mk4 rear calipers.
• All renewed hoses and most hard brake lines
• 17x7.5 BBS Replicas, Very good 195/40R17 tyres all round.
• All interior panels complete
• Black door cards
• 10” sub in custom enclosure
• 17cm Kenwood components up front
• Amp and head unit included.
• Light smoke window tint
• Subtle body mods such as colour coding, rub strips removed
• Powdercoated bumper mounts, rear beam, fan support etc.
• Sparco Steering wheel, Momo knob
• Relayed Lights, with daybreakers
• Remote central locking
• All locks matching, but only one key.
The car has a complete secondary veg oil system.
I scoured the internet for ages to obtain a cruise control stalk – so fully functioning c/c.
The car is currently at 201,000 miles – don’t let that put you off, this is a really clean car completely fresh and ready to go. The engine has covered approximately 130,000 miles, timing belt changed within 20,000 miles. Oil, diesel and air filter within 5000. Brake fluid, PAS fluid and gear box oil within 3000. I have never had the car HPI’d, but if you look really closely there is evidence that the driver’s rear quarter has been professionally replaced at some stage – consistent with “previously repaired” on the log book.
I'm under no illusion it's a show winner or a minter, but it was designed to be used daily, which it's proven time again.
A few niggles I'm trying to get round to fixing:
Rattle at idle, think it's the down pipe that needs a re-angle, i'd always intended to make a stainless one.
I replaced the fuel sender with one from diesel, but it doesn't frigging work!! (Well diesel comes out but the gauge doesn't)
The demister button doesn't work, It did....
I disconnected the veg system and haven't wired it back up yet
It pulls to the right a bit (might get the tracking done)
Wipers are 100% corrado spec - crap. Always intended to do a Lupo swap
I think that's everything. I've tried to be honest as I can, I have nothing to hide so any HPI, mate who knows about cars, inspection is welcome. Will edit as I think of more stuff!
Price is £3k, Location Bathgate.
Will be sad if it sells - been awesome.
in between rain showers - a pics from the weekend
More pics and nearly the complete history I have