Sign in to follow this  
2cc

Never too old to learn

A cautionary tale, or, how could I be so stupid? Think I'd know better by now.

Just thought I'd share this wth you - might be of help to some and amusement to others.

So I lowered the 16v by 25/30 back in March (Koni T/As, Eibachs) and have been somewhat unhappy with the weird and nasty noises it's been making when coping with potholes or dropped drain covers; but felt really great on good surfaces. Discussed several times with the suppliers who agreed that everything was fitted as it should be and there shouldn't be anything wrong wth it. Also spoke with a couple of performance garages who also couldn't suggest anything. I know a few people have had trouble with the Konis so I was starting to wonder whether they were at fault.

Then I spoke with Mike Edwards at Longleat last w/e who said to cut the bumpstops down. Did that yesterday. What a difference. I didn't realise till I took the weather shrouds off the damper that she was actually sitting on the bumpstops. :shock:

Like Mike suggested, I fitted the shortened Mk4 Golf fronts and cut two segments off the backs. Now I have sprung suspension instead of solid rubber - like it's supposed to be LOL. :oops:

Now I must say in my defence that when I did the same mod to the VR6 a while back, and asked specifically about bump stops, and was told that the originals would be fine - and have to say that she feels fine on them (though I will have another look at them once I get the clutch sorted out).

Thanks Mike.

PS VAG replaced a front bearing and flange (which they b******d up) for free last Wed so now my brakes work properly again - no squealing or vibration, so I'm :) again.

We all make mistakes! Glad you sorted it.

Have you got a part number for the MK4 front bumpstops as I'm fitting some new top mounts next month, so may aswell stick some of those in whilst it's all apart.

Cheers