Sign in to follow this  
andihaz

CV Boots

Car failed its MOT today, but all it is, is a split outer CV boot, the garaged wanted £80 to replace but I know the Cv boot kit is only £7. So have bought myself a kit and thought i'd challenge it tomorrow. I cant decide whether its possible to do it without removing the CV joint itself and just stretching the new boot overit, or does it definately require the joint to be removed.

Any hints or tips from anyone would be greatly appreciated, as I dont wanna make a mess of it and then have to pay the garage the money and get laughed at, at the same time for messing it up.

Will let you know how it goes, and maybe write some sort of review, but not too sure I'd be too good at that either though. :oops:

you really need to remove the outer cv joint from the driveshaft for this.

first thing to do, while the wheels are on the ground, is undo the fat nut on the end

that will be VERY tight. i use a 4 foot bar with a socket welded on the end for this. (good for getting it super tight after too)

thats the hardest bit out the way . . .

now jack it up (on the front subframe somewhere) and support it however which way you want. make sure it's safe!

theres a couple of ways to get enough flex to get the cv joint out. you could undo the bottom ball joint, or disconnect the suspension leg at the bottom, and should have enough movement to get the cv joint out the hub. you'll see which is best when you are down there.

be careful not to:

pull the inner cv joint to bits

mangle the botom ball joint

all in all its a shitty job, especially as the old boot has split and dropped it's guts everywhere.

if the cv joint is old/worn, now may be a good time to swap the whole thing rather than just the boot. still probably cheaper than £80.

You need to get the CV off the driveshaft so that the small diameter end of the boot can be pushed onto it.

The nut which holds the end of the CV to the drive flange (you see it poking through the hub when you take off the centre cap of the wheel), is done up very tightly, so loosen it before you jack the car up - apply the handbrake and put it in 1st gear.

You'll need to split the ball joint at the lower suspension arm/hub connection; it's easiest with a proper splitter.

It's best to clean out the CV and re-pack with grease whilst you have it apart; any dirt will accelerate wear and lead to failure, affecting the steering - that's why the MOT is strict on this. If you do totally dismantle it, make sure that the balls go back into the same places in the inner cage.

Good luck! Make sure the car is on axle stands, not just on a jack.

Best wishes

RB