Sign in to follow this  
Si B

Sourcing G60 Alternator

The alternator on my G60 is not charging as enthusiasticaly as it should but sourcing a replacement seems to be tricky.

GSF don't list them for the G60 and the one my wife picked up from ECP today (despite giving them the part number) is most definately not from a G60!? Halford wanted about £180 for a replacement made by someone I had never heard of and a 55amp one at that when the std one is 90amp.

Any ideas where I can get one (at a decent price ideally) or how I can get the parts to fix the current one? i.e. some new brushes and a voltage regulator.

your local motor factors should be able to offer you a rebuild service on your alternator..

I have seen a peugeot one that has the correct internals (I've aquired one) but the outer case is incorrect. It should be possible to swap the case over to suit. I haven't tried it yet as my original still works at present

Si B, We definitely sell the voltage regulators if you need one ??

I'm fairly certain that we also do the complete alternators - I'll check at work tomorrow

Thanks for your help all. Sthe stealership have come up trumps and even did me a discount making it about £100 inc VAT. I just hope it is the right part, and that it comes with the pulley as I cant get the old pulley off the current unit....... despite generous applications of the hot spanner (blow torch!).

the pulleys should just pull of once the bolt is removed. odd thing is though there is a slot for a woodruff key in the shaft but no woodruff key... i spent hours looking for the one i though i dropped... :lol:

phew, not just me that did that then g-man, :roll: :wink: :lol: :mrgreen:

Sahibs auto electric on the hanger lane roundabout in nw london do them for £63 inc vat based on exchange and their surcharge is only a tenner!!! 6 months warranty aswell.

There does not appear to be anything special about the pulley except that mine has siezed itself onto the shaft. The stealership has volunteered to swap them over for me if I pop down early Saturday with the old unit...... I think this is the first time that the old "give it some heat" trick has failed to budge a siezed part. It is also the first time that the stealers have been overly helpful AND knocked money off without much asking!

I think that it is the mounting points that make the unit unique to the G60.

By the time I have poured the contents of my living room back into the engine bay the car will be as good as new, which sounds like a good excuse for a track day :lol:

My alternator has been on it's last legs and lastnight the car died on me. No power, no nothing. Knew what it was so got a cheeky jumpstart which lastet 5 minutes. Got home eventually with the voltmeter dropping at quite a pace and stuck it in the garage. Bizzare thing was that the voltmeter jumped back up to around 12 volts when I got it back in the garage...strange. Typical, that it happens the week before I start my new job where I'll be needing the car everyday. Anyway, phoned the dealer today and they'll have a new one for me tomorrow for £95 + V.A.T. I've checked the bushes and they are very worn and my mate has checked the alternator and said it is fooked. Just before I spend £112, it it deffo buggered?

I have an alterantor for a G60 for sale in perfect working order. Only reason for sale is I upgraded mine to a 90Amp version to cope with my stereo system!