Sign in to follow this  
RobyD

rattly alternater

About a week a go, started to here rattling from the engine (very noticable!) at idle and sometimes driving along. Had an inspection with a socket extension to my ear and it seems to be definitley coming from the alternator. It's all secure and outer pulley is'nt loose, belt tight, could it be bearings inside or sumin?

Think i may need a new alternator, not bloody cheap though! Anyone shed any light?

Cheers for quick reply

Pretty certain its not too tight. I partially took it apart to inspect and then put back with the belt on slightly looser than before. Still rattles :( ??

My mate whos got a G60 had a very similar problem, im just trying to think what it was......

I will call him and get back to you!!

Have you recently had the charher re built or taken off? It could have something to do with the spring thats on the charger that rattles and obvioulsy the spring is really close to the alternator? And that would still give the illusion that the noise is coming from the alternator??

Not really sure mate without looking at it, but I think that had something to do with my mate who had a sililar problem to you.

You could always just check the nuts are tight on the spring.....

Deleted duplicate