Sign in to follow this  
G60GAZ

BOOST PRESSURE ON A G60????

HI GUYS JUST FOUND THIS SITE AND ITS EXCELLENT!!!

I JUST BOUGHT A G60 CORRAD WHICH I HAVE CARRIED OUT A FEW MODS ON(JABBASPORT R1 CHARGER,CHIP & 68MM PULLEY SCHRICK CAM AND JABBA SPORT INDUCTION KIT, FULL SUPERSPRINT EXHAUST INCLUDING CAT BY-PASS)

THE CAR RECENTLY DID 198BHP ON THE ROLLERS HOWEVER FROM READING THE POSTS ON HERE I SEE YOU GUYS ARE RUNNING 14PSI BOOST FROM STAGE 4 CHARGERS.............MY CHARGER PRODUCES ABOUT 10PSI AND WILL REACH ABOUT 11.5 AT THE REDLINE.NOW BRIAN AT JABBA SPORT TOLD ME THE R1 CHARGER WILL DO NOTHING FOR YOU REALLY WITH OUT HEAD WORK DONE TOO, SO LEAVING THAT OUT ALL TOGETHER I SHOULD SURELY STILL BE SEEING A MINIMUM OF 14 PSI????? I DONT THINK I HAVE A BOOST LEAK OR AT LEAST NOT ONE BIG ENOUGH TO LOOSE 2 PSI!!!!

ANYBODY HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS?? ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED

*chopped*

I got my facts totally fubar.. forget I ever posted in here.

HI GUYS JUST FOUND THIS SITE AND ITS EXCELLENT!!!

I JUST BOUGHT A G60 CORRAD WHICH I HAVE CARRIED OUT A FEW MODS ON(JABBASPORT R1 CHARGER,CHIP & 68MM PULLEY SCHRICK CAM AND JABBA SPORT INDUCTION KIT, FULL SUPERSPRINT EXHAUST INCLUDING CAT BY-PASS)

ANYBODY HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS?? ANY HELP OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED

with the cams done it will lower the manifold pressure as the intakes are less restrictive, thats where the boost is going imho.

where did you get your charger serviced to stg 4 steve as like g60gaz I got mine serviced at jabba and had the chip and pulley fitted at the same time with all the other mods I ve done on the car i had it rolling roaded at 202bhp and the boost gauge only ever goes upto a maximum of 12psi which I was told was normal for stg4 with 68mm pulley.

Hm.. I am certainly no authority on engine problems.. but I recently watched a computer captured video clip (from a Volkswagen Technical video) about the G-Lader - when performing boost tests, the very minimum you should be seeing from the G-Lader is 12PSI? But then I dont know what bearings all the mods you have done to the car will have...

Hello. I'm a new member to your forums but I'd like to interject about this video. I used to sell these VW videos on ebay a while back and I'm most certain that the lowest pressure that was within spec was 8.6 psi but that was with a stock pulley. Now I do remember seeing that the ISV would vent boost above a certain psi and I think this was around 12-13psi and this is why most of us over here in the USA use an ISV reroute so that both side of the ISV are pressurized and then its unable to bleed boost since the isv is rerouted to the TB's IC pipe and the boost return pipe is then capped off.

its a jabba stg 4....have you got a check valve? they can lose boost through the isv ....funny about them saying 12 is the norm...they told me to expect 17-18??

from what i see on the american forums..16psi is good for what ive got...some get a touch more or less...but id say 12 is bad

btw...thats on on autometer gauge..not mfa

sorry guys but this may seem like a stupid question........

but what is the isv??? is this the second butterfly on the throttle body this is some kinda return air feed to the charger rite????

i have a mate with a g60 16v in his mk1 and he has this blocked off, aswell as the return inlet on the charger and he is running 13psi with a jd engineering charger and 68mm pulley.

also what is this isv reroute and check valve and how do they work exactly? :?:

sorry guys but this may seem like a stupid question........

but what is the isv??? is this the second butterfly on the throttle body this is some kinda return air feed to the charger rite????

i have a mate with a g60 16v in his mk1 and he has this blocked off, aswell as the return inlet on the charger and he is running 13psi with a jd engineering charger and 68mm pulley.

also what is this isv reroute and check valve and how do they work exactly? :?:

the ISV is the Idle Stablizer Valve. Its a solienoid that flutters to keep the car at a steddy idle.

On a stock car the ISV is located above the Valve cover and routes from the intake manifold to the boost return pipe. The boost return pipe is about 1.5" and runs from the bottom of the TB back to the charger. I wanted to say driver side of the charger but....:)

I could go on about the boost return pipe and its associated parts and what not but that is a whole new topic that could be debated forever

I wanted to say driver side of the charger but....

but what................you remembered you guys drive on the wrong side of the road!!!! (sorry couldnt resist that one)

ahh the "idle stabilization vale" sorry i should have realised that one but like i said i am new in here

so what exactly does the isv reroute that you guys are talkin about

a:do

b:where is it located

Hm.. I am certainly no authority on engine problems.. but I recently watched a computer captured video clip (from a Volkswagen Technical video) about the G-Lader - when performing boost tests, the very minimum you should be seeing from the G-Lader is 12PSI? But then I dont know what bearings all the mods you have done to the car will have...

I have this video saved on my pc, its about 8mb and I cant find the link where I got it from, if anyone wants to host the vid then pm me and ill see about sending it to u via msn.

you may be intrested in looking on http://www.vwvortex.com go to forums ,then tech,then g60......it backs up what i say,and has lots of info on isv's etc..try the search feature on there :lol:

I'm a Vortex G60 forum Junkie. I got tired of all the old questions there so I figured I'd venture into a new crowd.

the ISV routes air in and out of the intake manifold to controlle and is controled by the ECU and has the ability to bleed boost to the boost return. but what the ISV reroute does is it places the rubber hose that was leading to the boost return to the IC pipe leading to the TB and this allows equal pressure on both side of the ISV and now no boost is able to be bled off.

I hope that simplfied it.

I have this video saved on my pc, its about 8mb and I cant find the link where I got it from, if anyone wants to host the vid then pm me and ill see about sending it to u via msn.

Getting a few people interested in the file, would it be possible to host it on the site or is it too big (8 megs) Andi, u reading this, could u let me know.

Cheers

Hah... ignore my post above. In fact, going to remove it now.

I dont know how I got my information so wrong... talk about getting wires crossed. Sorry if it has confused a few people :(

I only see 14psi on my charger at high revs and low air temps, it all depends how you wind the charger up to speed, bringing the engine speed up slower makes the boost higher. putting your foot to the floor on a g60 chokes it, so pressing the gas more progressivly actuallly makes you faster on the g60 imho

Thats an interesting point about the ISV reroute I am planning to do the re route as soon as I get my breather catch tank and capping of collars for the boost return I didn't realise that thats where some of my boost could be disapearing to.

Hi guys, i just registered to this forum. :D

With a 68mm pulley 10psi is too low even with a cam. You should be getting around 14 especially since its been rebuilt. What profile is your cam??

The ISV issue is interesting, it seems like European G60's vent boost through this as it is a code built into the map. Basically under WOT as the boost reaches 1 bar, the isv opens and vents 0.2 bar. I've seen this on the rollers. If your aftermarket chip is based on the factory map then you'll retain this effect.

The US G60's do not seem to have this problem, however both models could lose boost through an old ISV anyway. :cry:

G60jet posted that putting your foot down progressively makes it feel faster. This is due to Digifant Lag :( that you all get. If you floor it instantly, the fuelling with cycle rich-lean-rich etc for a second before hitting the map value (fit an A/F guage and have a look) . The only way to eliminate this lag is through SNS No Lag © Chips 8) .

Hi guys, i just registered to this forum. :D

With a 68mm pulley 10psi is too low even with a cam. You should be getting around 14 especially since its been rebuilt. What profile is your cam??.

with a Cam there is no way you can get 14psi with a cam and 68, but yes 10 does seem low

Well each charger is different due to age etc but i use a Schrick 268 cam and a 2.5" exhaust and i was reaching 14.5psi all the time with my 68 .

Maybe a higher profile cam wouldnt allow you to reach 14psi but as you said, 10 is too low.