Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigneil

Okay I have a grandish to spend what to do?

Just passed my second attempt MOT, all brake lines/pipes etc replaced...

Calipers are in a complete mess as are discs etc.

I love the way it drives on 15's so won't be changing them for any bigger as have some solitudes to go on!

The possible plan is:-

Mk4 Calipers all around (front and back) are the fronts possible also?

Drilled disks - which ones?

pads - maybe red stuff as John from JMR informs me the green ones melt

Caliper paint - all red of course

If any cash left as much of the onderside (axle, anti-roll bar etc) to be blasted and powder coated.

Then I need another grand to make the paint perfect

Then abit more to get rid of the bloody Alarm and something that doesn't go off everytime the wind blows....

Then a bit more for 4x4 but that can all wait for a long time

Twin turbo R32 engine when I'm 90 etc

ooooh and maybe a CD player? - I still have the sony tape unit :oops:

the mk 4 calipers are fine for the front (i have them for mine) but you'll need the mk3 carriers i believe

i'd stay away from ebc pads personally.....pagid FR or VW tend to work best from my own experience (saying that you wanna buy some mk3 288 spec ebc green stuff pads that are hardly used you can PM me..im only after about £20 :D )

why do you want drilled discs aswell??? VW ones are fine and actually very cheap

Is that for all of what you've listed above? Crossdrilled Zimmer's thats what I was told by John I think. How much for all the calipers? Carriers etc, roughly? I can get trade price at VW stealers so how much are we thinking?

biggerbigneil, go to a scrappy for the callipers if i were you...they normally go for about £120-£150 second hand but that will get you the callipers, carriers, hoses (which you will need!)

you do know that the late mk3 calliper and the early mk4 caliper are the same...i have the mk4 because its newer and therefore longer life expectancy...but both will do the same job

cool well that is a plan! How much do you think I can do myself? Are the calipers easy to do and other stuff? what tools needed etc. Would like to learn how to do everything myself (well more than I know now anyway)

If I buy the calipers and paint them are there any bits I need to make sure not to get paint on?

Would like to put brand new stuff on where possible as I'm not a fan of putting second hand bits on my baby :oops:

I know that makes me sad - obviously will have to if 4x4 it later but where possible I like having new things

(saying that you wanna buy some mk3 288 spec ebc green stuff pads that are hardly used you can PM me..im only after about £20 :D )

LOL, hardly worn??? They are half the new thickness!

kevhaywire, shhhhhhh.... :lol:

you had a look then...shame i only have one of them at the moment!!! :mad: the other is still rolling around in the back of corradostorm's car :roll:

Cool, thanks for the info guys, so I need to find myself:-

Golf mk4 calipers all round

Zimmer kit

Mk3 front carriers

Mk4 - Mk2 adapters for the rear? - is that the carriers?

and what other bits?

At the rear you need Goodridge MK2 to MK4 hoses, about £25. New VAG discs, the MK4 calipers (bearings etc for the discs) and 1998 MK3 pads - your choice of material.

Front, 288 carriers off a 98 on MK3 VR6, MK4 or MK3 calipers, discs and pads. You may need to cut off the wear sensor wires from the pads, and again MK2 to MK4 conversion hoses but you can always take them off the Golf at the same time.

i dont understand this 'conversion hose' thing....i have late mk3 hoses...which had better fit or their going back to mike edwards!

as far as i understood it was just the caliper connector that was different...the connector to the brake hose on the actual car is the same on the golf and the corrado...or so i have been told

im talking fronts by the way

Well, MK2 platform cars use normal threaded ends and olive joints. Late MK3/MK4 use banjo joints on the calipers..... hence the 'conversion' hose or the hoses from the car you take the calipers from.....

but essentially if i bought a conversion hose...and a late mk3 hose from vw...they would be the same?

sorry...just like to have things clear in my mind

Yep....spot on. But the conversion hoses are goodridge braided steel, so you get a better pedal.

The Conversion hoses are handy if you haven't got *any* hoses at all.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh...so thats the difference....

thanks kev..

i just have vw rubber ones but they are brand new and never used...which is nice..but not as nice as braided :(