Sign in to follow this  
P

ICE display dimming

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Corrado has the necessary wiring to activate the display dimming on your stereo when the car lights are turned on ?

Thanks,

P

I have all the necessary wiring on my '91 G60. The display dims as soon as the lights are switched on, i believe it is standard wiring on all Corrados.

Martyn

On another car which didn't have the cable I just spliced it onto the one for sidelights.

I think the Corrado has the correct wire though, so this shouldn't be necessary...

My car seems the same lights on stereo dim when lights go on although some head units need this function turning on in the menu on screen ie newer pioneer units

OK thanks - it's a Blaupunkt unit fitted at the shop, so armed with that info I'll pop it back in and get them to sort it out.

Regards,

P

Yes, both mine have the wiring in the loom so I assume it to be standard. What you might find with an after market radio is that the ISO wiring (on the radio side) may be on a different pin. Generally speaking, the ISO pin outs should be standard as well but I have seen some where the dimmer function is on a different pin.

My Pioneer head unit used to dim when I turned the headlights on..

If thats of any use :)

it may do with Gamma Radios but not after market ones

Sorry thought you ment the dash dimmer for some reason

the dimmer on the stereo if normal a present in non eom radios

you can normally set the dimmer on or off, the standard ISO connector block in my G60 does have the wire to dim the face plate.

People,

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the harness on the C end? When I bought the C, some muppet

had cut of the harness plug and botched his new unit on with some solder. I'd like to find this dimmer wire

as currently my display on the Kenwood is too bright during nighttime.

What I really need, is the colour of this dimmer wire, so I can attach it to the harness

Cheers,

Rica

illumination wire = blue with grey.

speed sensor wire = blue with white! Don't get the two mixed up else your spoiler will stop working! :roll: :lol:

Henny,

thanks for the quick reply, I'll hunt for it!

Cheers,

Rica

That's just from memory... If you need a full list of speaker wire colours and everything, just lemme know, 'cos I've got the dashboard on mine in bits and have just spent a couple of days wiring in my new ICE system, gauges and other bits and bobs... :wink:

isnt the wire orange at the headunit?

Quite iften i know you just have to rewire the plug on the stereo end, cause i had to do thid with my panasonic. it was odd, didnt have the dimmer for headlights on and the monkey that put it in didnt realise that the ign live and per live were swapped, so it always lost its memory :roll:

fixed it then changed it for my JVC about 1 week later :lol:

dubster82,

Yeah, the dimmer wire on the ICE harness is orange/white.

When I took the old HU out to replace it with the Kenwood one, there was no harness block anywhere in sight.

The previous owner had cut off the Corrado harness block, the HU block and just soldered wires together.

I went and bought an ISO block and resoldered the wires in at the C end. Since I didn't have a wiring diagram,

I only soldered wires I knew what they were e.g. speakers, live and so on, insulating the rest.

So, undoubtedly (I hope) the blue/gray wire is sitting somewhere, loose at the moment and I just

(once again hopefully) have to locate it and solder it in the right pin. Here's hoping! :lol:

Cheers,

Rica

I only soldered wires I knew what they were e.g. speakers, live and so on, insulating the rest.

So, undoubtedly (I hope) the blue/gray wire is sitting somewhere, loose at the moment and I just

(once again hopefully) have to locate it and solder it in the right pin. Here's hoping! :lol:

Nice and sensible there, Ka`! Soldering is definately the way to do it, and is something I'll do once I re-fit my stereo in the summer before the shows! :wink: :lol: It's too cold in my car for my soldering iron to get hot enough to melt the solder at the moment, and I'm not taking my blowtorch heated one into my car! :wink: :roll:

If you've picked up the factory stereo live and earth, trace these back, and the rest of the wires should be inside the same foam insulation sleave that these feed from...

I've just found a right wiring bodge job where my stereo had been fitted... :shock: Permanent live off the cigarette lighter (can we say "correct fuse rating"?!?) and the ignition live was taken off the rear heated screen switch, but wasn't used in the stereo so was just floating about... This is probably why the flipping screen always used to blow the fuse as soon as you put a new one in the box... :roll: :lol:

Hey-ho, it'll be right once I've finished it! 8)

Just make sure that you find the Blue/White wire and insulate it and tape it up well out of the way so that you don't have any of the fun with the spoiler and speedo going mad... 8)

LOL, I had that problem when soldering my brake light in! Just too cold for the iron to get hot enough! I ended up using 2 soldering irons!

I recommend heatshrink to cover the exposed join. B&Q sell it for a really cheap price, a must for proper car wiring!

Shame we can't make electrical connections the VW way......they basically use glue filled connectors aswell as crimping. They crimp the connectors onto the wire and then heat it so the glue melts and seals the connection! Sweet!

K

LOL, I had that problem when soldering my brake light in! Just too cold for the iron to get hot enough! I ended up using 2 soldering irons!

I recommend heatshrink to cover the exposed join. B&Q sell it for a really cheap price, a must for proper car wiring!

Shame we can't make electrical connections the VW way......they basically use glue filled connectors aswell as crimping. They crimp the connectors onto the wire and then heat it so the glue melts and seals the connection! Sweet!

I get my heatshrink from RS in bulk packs, but then, work does kinda end up paying for it :wink: :lol:

RS also do the crimp'n'glue stye connectors too... I've not used 'em much other then on telephone wires, but they seem pretty good... 8)