Sign in to follow this  
Furkz

SONY MEX-1HD

£45 postage costs? I'd tell em to Furk off for that alone!!

These are refurbed units as well, so don't expect it to be brand new.

Other than that, the seller has decent feedback so it's up to you I guess.... :)

you'll have to rip all of your CDs onto the head unit into ATRAK3 format (which, frankly, blows goats) as the internal HDD won't store MP3s... this is the same as Sony's NetMD player/recorders.... :evil:

The idea is great but, again, Sony's messed it up with it's own file format and little/no support for the major MP3/WMA formats... :roll:

Do they do any other makes with similar spec, as these'd probably be much better to use... 8)

Risk wise, anything coming off ebay (especially from abroad) is a slight risk, but they've got some good feedback ratings and if you pay via credit card, you should be able to get some form of insurance with that... 8)

you'll have to rip all of your CDs onto the head unit into ATRAK3 format (which, frankly, blows goats) as the internal HDD won't store MP3s... this is the same as Sony's NetMD player/recorders.... :evil:

I thought I'd read somewhere that Sony had come to their senses and started allowing their latest players to support mp3 format?

im not really thinking of buying thr unit off ebay i was jus looking tbh....ebay always sounds that little bit dodgy to me........

the unit does actually play mp3's off a cd but wont let u store them on the unit???

whats this format ATRAK3 format pros&cons plz if u can

ATRAK3 is Sony's propriatary file format... ATRAK is what's used on Minidisks and is loosely based on a revised version of the MP2 algorythm... MP3 is also based on MP2, but was taken in a slightly different direction with how it takes out "chunks" to compress the audio... ATRAK3 is the latest version of the ATRAK algorythm to have been released...

Pros of Atrak3? none that I know of over MP3

Cons - it's not compatible with ANYTHING else other than Sony stuff... :| :roll:

SONY BULLSHIT EXCLUSIVITY again i take it...i think i'll jus keep my current cd/mp3 unit for now

I was thinking about buying one of these head units a while ago but I eventually decided to buy an iPod and a Dension car kit for my existing Sony head unit. This has lots of advantages over paying over the odds for a HDD head unit (you can't take the head unit on holiday with you for a start :) ) and whilst there are a few disadvantages I'm pretty sure that it was the right way to go (for me at least).

I've decided that all of the MP3 HDD head units available at the moment don't do what I want them to, so I've decided that I'm gonna build a laptop into the boot which will run the sat-nav, DVD, MP3 and cameras through the TV I've already got in there! :D

Should be a nice little winter project to keep my quiet if I manage to get any spare time! ;) 8)