Sign in to follow this  
AlanVW

1.8 16v Corrado

Well after having my corrado on the road for a few days.

now i think it is a lovely car but im not quite sure about it's performance.

My Other Car a Golf Driver 1600cc all i have done to it is a Webber Carb, GTI Cam, and a GTI Downpipe+ Manifold.

But Im Reckoning up to say 80 - 90 My Driver would out accelerate The Corrado.

and the other day i had a Corsa tailgate me in a 30mph limit so when we got out on to open road i thought i would increase the gap between us but everytime i looked in my mirror he was still there up untill like 100 it seemed i creeped away from him, but because new car and it's so dammned lovely I dont want to risk it in the twistys (it looks great and i want to keep it that way)so he was right there again then im not sure if he could of passed me or not it he was either lacking power or bottle but there was plenty straight bits of road after some lower gear corners and could see far enough in front so i think if he could of he would but he was just too close for comfort

The Corrado Does have a pretty badly leaking exauhst but i think it's quite far back the system.

Which is leading me to is something maby wrong with my car or is that kindof the performance i should be getting?

Car is 160k with a FSH i know the engine is about done and am thinking about a replacement ?

is a 2.0 16v easy enough swap and a decent hike in performance ?

Your Driver will have most of its power lower down the rev range than the 16v. You may just have to adjust your driving style as I have found out. Basically to get the car too move you have to keep the revs up. Nothing happens till after 3krpm.

These 16v engines appear to need set up properly otherwise they are guttless. Unfortunetly the engine is not powerful enough for the size/weight of car in my opinion. As for the cornering then you are missing out if you dont push it a little. One of the best things about the car is the handling.

I will wait till i get used to the car before it push it in some corners ;c)

but i reckon the engine wont last much longer but i might be suprised i just want to have a replacement sitting by ready ;c)

and this sebring exauhst is just horrible it just dosentfit the car there are mounts underneath that arent being used the ones that are the mounts are stretched like anything. i reckoin it has caused some of my heat sheilding to fall off and sit on top of the exauhst it just has to go, it's the first thing im going to fix. but what is the best fitting system in your oppinion ?

from my golf it has to be a Jettex and thats what im hoping for on the corrado.

I will wait till i get used to the car before it push it in some corners ;c)

but i reckon the engine wont last much longer but i might be suprised i just want to have a replacement sitting by ready ;c)

and this sebring exauhst is just horrible it just dosentfit the car there are mounts underneath that arent being used the ones that are the mounts are stretched like anything. i reckoin it has caused some of my heat sheilding to fall off and sit on top of the exauhst it just has to go, it's the first thing im going to fix. but what is the best fitting system in your oppinion ?

from my golf it has to be a Jettex and thats what im hoping for on the corrado.

your exhaust may not be providing the engine with enough back pressure, this will almost certainly kill the already weak low down torque of the 1800 16v, A standard system will sort this, providing the engine is healthy generally, get a compression test done and check all the ignition system (replace anything thats obviously tired or suspect) and get the car set up to about 2% CO at idle (MOT test station can do this)

Providing the car is not coked up and is run on decent fuel amke sure the base ignition timing is at 6-7 degrees advance.

Long term, search for a 6A/9A or ABF 2L bottom end, that will improve torque though the rev range considerably.

David.

In the mean time, rev the t*ts off it and it will go a lot better.

Mine doesn't really get going until after 4k rpm, after that it pulls hard right to the red line.

You have to thrash it to make it go quick, and you will be amazed how fast you can take corners and still have grip!

The handling rocks.

8)

I had the same golf ( with the same mods ) as you before my 16v corrado.

the golf wouldn't have touched the corrado in my opinion.

either my golf wasn't runnin right or your corrado isnt :?

good luck gettin it sorted tho, once there right its a really good step up from the 1.6 8)

Well Definately the Driver sticks with the corrado till around 90.

But i know the exauhst on the rad is blowing pretty badly. will sort that see if it helps because i had same problem with the driver and it was pathetic with a blown exauhst but that was right at the manifold to downpipe join. i think the leaks are near the rear boxes.

I Bough the corrado to be quicker than the golf so im a bit dissapointed. because it's not often im going to be driving over 90 mph anyway.

You need to get the rado tuned. I took mine to stealth thinking it was performing ok,only to find it was making 120bhp :cry: 2hours later and a new cam wheel and it made 162bhp and felt like a missile :mrgreen:

Also 160k isnt bad, i know of one thats done 250k on orignal engine with not much service history!

Not being able to shake a Corsa is concerning, well, not if it's a GSI one at least. I've had more 16Vs than I care to remember but as with all marques, you get good ones and bad ones. The worst one I had gave 144bhp after some extensive mods, but another one, completely standard, gave 151bhp.

As already said, valvers are fussy with tune. Get the base CO off 1% and it effects the whole rev range.

Get it to Stealth ASAP for a tune-up and it will feel like a different car. Sounds like your basic tune is way off.

I used to have a Golf 1.6 Driver and then went to the Corrado

First time i took the Corrado out for a spin i wasnt impressed .. and the reason was you DO need to change your driving style.

Delay your great changes - the 18 16V enging gets going at about 4000 rpm - so basic advice is RED LINE IT IN EVERY GEAR :wink:

It does require a change of driving style - also try going round a roundabout a few times - and you will feel the massive change in the amount of grip you get in the Corrado compared to the Golf - the handling is totally in another class to the golf.

Finally - the acid test - drive your Corrado for about 2 weeks - then revert back to the Golf (I had to do this!) and you will cry at the lack of power then!

It really is a driving style thing though - that will be the difference.

Aye totally, the 16 valveer need its nuts revved off for anything to happen, especially with the 50mm manifold. But seriously man go and mangle it round some corners, the grip these cars have is amazing, you will be like :shock: "this is the nuts"

im Loving the Corrado More and More everytime I drive it, just the feel of it it's verry nice.

I Will Give it a service and try get it to somewhere to see what it's doing.

I Looked up some specs on a corsa, seems if it was a SRI it could of been a 1.8 16v with 128bhp.

So i guess that would be pretty close to my bumper or past me. giving they probably weigh nothing

Another thing dude, what fuel are you using? My rad doesnt run for shite and wont start at all reasonably if i dont use optimax, just something else to try 8)

Hmm i have noticed sometimes it has issues starting.

but closest shell is in town, and thats a long drive for some optimax. Esso 97 RON is the closest.

I would suggest a very good service

I.e get the fuel lines and meteringhead off and good clean with fuel injector/carb cleaner

Also Idle vavle

And then a good service replacing all parts and tune up

did this once to my 16v and after putting it all together it started to idle 200rpm higher than before and made a huge difference to the pulling power :D