Sign in to follow this  
G60Dan

Stereo light stopped working

As above. Bottom row still work, but the rest inc display aren't :?: But is still plaing music fine.

Here is how it should look

cda-9811r_l.jpg

HELP!!

could it just be bulbs?

Try cleaning the contacts on the face plate and the headunit. That used to happen all the time to my Alpines, hence going over to Pioneer.

A clean-up of the contacts usually restored the lights tho..... if not, the flourescent display has gone and will need sending off for repair.

Cheers Kev, will give that a try

It happened the other night. Being lazy, I didn't turn it off, I just unclipped it, then as I went to pull it off, made the terminals touch and it just stopped then.

isopropyl alcohol would be the best thing to use on a cotton bud... 8)

Failing that a cheap Vodka or meths would do the trick... :drinking:

Are Alpine's known to do this? Hope mine doesent start doing that, although i never pop it off to wear the contacts out with.

Had a kenwood that done this though, had a mind of its own that stereo. :)

Are Alpine's known to do this? Hope mine doesent start doing that, although i never pop it off to wear the contacts out with.

Had a kenwood that done this though, had a mind of its own that stereo. :)

I've had 3 alpines & this is the 1st to do so. It's only a year old 2.

Cleaning the teminals didn't work. The MX (bottom left) button has froze now with all the 2 bottom red lights staying on??

Think the head unit is dying a slow death!! :(

The faceplate is knackered, get a new one if it's still in warranty.

Eventually you will have no lights at all and most of the buttons won't work.....

Alpines have the least reliable faceplates of any Car stereo I've ever used.....

Bummer!

I'm sure there is (or was) a place online that sells faceplates at significantly less than the autorised dealers sell them at.....?

I've had 4 Alpines over the years and they ALL failed in this way. I've not had any of the recent models but I've heard Alpine have made improvements to the faceplates.

Alpine used to want £150-£250 (depending on model) for a new face plate but they also offered a £25 insurance thing (this is going back a few years!) when you bought the stereo which covered the face plate for any loss or damage *not* related to a theft.

I wish I'd taken that offer when I had mine!

Same thing happened to my old Alpine unit, have a look for a reset button, mine was on the front of the unit, you have to look hard for it when the face is off. give it a try

new face plates are stupidly expensive....... but if you just need a fault repairing, Alpine service dept is pretty good.

To my knowledge, it is fixed rate for Head units, regardless of fault. £57 rings a bell.

give em a bell on 01908 619 503......

Reset button sorted the mx button etc, but lights are still out. Has to be bulbs I think.

i might be wrong but that looks like a sealed flourescent gas filled tube type display and is not backlit so if its faulty it will need a new display :(

seems strange that the reset button sorted some of it though :?

has the face plate been dropped/sat on at all :?: