Sign in to follow this  
Bournemouth James

Turbo problem

Been having a few problems with my car lately

The turbo hasent been boosting properly, has a long lag, and when it does kick in, it doesent seem to pull like it should

Yesterday it got worse all of a suden, soon as the turbo kicks in, it deaccelerates, and makes an awful noise, sort of like the sound you get when the exhaust is blowing

I know theres a few of you that are quite clued up on 20vt engines, so any help would be great

It may be worth disconnecting the inlet/outlet pipes on the turbo and checking the spindle for play. You should only be able to move it with your fingers ever so slightly.

Play in the shaft will lead to the blades touching the housing and stalling - giving no boost and if you start losing bits of the compressor it'll end up in the engine. Any smoke at all? Have you switched the car off when its been really hot recently - that could have mashed the bearing which (AFAIK in audi turbo's) could lead to play or it may even be sticking.

Not sure what turbo it is on that engine (KKK04?) but is the actuator OK? My old Garrett T25 did the same thing once and I had to have a new actuator spring thingy put on.....£75 thank you very much, sir....

Ah the KKK03 in that case then...

Yep, the actuator regulates boost pressure and stops over-boost spikes. It has a small vacuum feed from the inlet manifold, so follow that down to a large diaphagm looking device with a rod coming out of it (attached to the waste gate flap).

What was happening on mine was it was building boost too quickly and over-whelming the fuelling and ignition, due to the spring in the actuator dying. Chances are your actuator has siezed and your not getting enough boost, or the opposite. The vacuum hose may have even split....

Have a nose around the turbo and see what gives....

Also, check the accuator rod is connected to the turbo spindle!! the rod is held on by a circlip - the circlip had fallen (or rusted) off and the rod come off and was loose. lost boost because of that - thought the turbo was knackered until I noticed the disconnected rod!!!!