Sign in to follow this  
Willsy'sbigred16v

MK1 GTI Cabrio buying advice

Hi Guys,

Apologies for the non Corrado content. Anyone had any experience/got any advice for buying a MK1 Golf Cabrio?

What should i be looking out for, i am going with a mate tonight to have a look at one with him (i'm not into Cabriolets!) I assume the main concern will be the roof mechanism...but any other advice on a 1991 H plate would be gratefully recieved.

cheers,

Willsy.

Rust won't be a problem as Karman built the MK1 a lot better than VW did, so any rust point so accident repairs.

You've already isolated the key area for concern. Check it has no tears and raises and lowers smoothly if both electric and manually operated. The electric roofs are hideously expensive and complicated to maintain. Check the condition of all the seals around the doors, top of the windscreen etc because again, they cost an arm and a leg. Most MK1 cabbies leak a tiny bit, but torrents of water pouring through is not good, walk away.

Other than that, it's all MK1 Golf, so the usual GTI checks apply. Smoke, clonks, play in the steering etc. MK1s have crap brakes, so don't be too alarmed or surprised when pressing the middle pedal has minimal effect.

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6

From what i know, the roof mech is pretty good. If it opens and closes then i guess its good. Check for the roof splitting in the corner by the windscreen as it will leak loads. When i got mine, all the shocks were dead and the exhaust on the way out. Good things to buy are

1. Exhaust as they are only single pipe standard and the twin pipe aftermarket ones are far better.

2. Front/rear upper and lower strut braces work a treat as the cabrios twist around far more due to not having a roof.

H plates are good. I think you get the G60 style arches after 1990?

Other things to look at are :

Inside of the hood for mould.

The rear footwells of the car for signs of damp.

The fuse box, I know sounds unusual, but check there are no wires bypassing the fuel pump relay. As it is a common thing for that relay to go, and if it is usually means new fuse box.

Check the tracking, make sure the car dosn't pull to oneside, as without a roof theres alot more flex in the body.

Torneau cover, and tools with the jack.

Another thing, look at the fuel filler pipe under the rear driverside wheel arch as its exposed inside the arch and if rusty might need replacing.