Sign in to follow this  
alan

300bhp+ VR6 Gearbox?

Is there any VAG gearbox that could be fitted to a VR6 to take just over 300bhp? Or would it be a case of getting somthing like a Quaife box fitted?

Cheers

Alan

Would the Seat Leon Cupra R box fit in ok?

I know that they are a bit of a nightmare to fit into a MK2 golf but I wasn't sure if it is a stright fit for a Corrado

its a custom driveshaft job, and no the leon box will not fit a VR cos the bell housing is different, You would have to get a 4motion 6 speed box, make custom shafts up, and then make a custom gearbox mount up. Not too much work eh?

It's the torque that's the problem, but a VR6 box would be relatively OK with 300bhp and no more than 300 ft/lb, so long as the diff is bolted and box rebuilt with new bearings and seals etc.

It won't last as long as it would with a standard engine, but it won't implode on you.

For serious torque, you're going to need Gemini gearsets, special steel CV cages, toughened driveshafts etc etc.....

talk to Vince down at stealth racing.... there ain't a lot about VW 'boxes that he doesn't know...

For 300+ Lb/Ft you're gonna need something a little special though... :|

Luckly it's not my car, it's for my dads 8)

It'll be stealth who'll be doing the work. It's going in for a bottem end rebuild at the begining of next year, it'll be getting some low comp pistons so it should be able to take a decent amount of bost.

My cars into stealth next month so I'll ask vince while I'm there.

Do the Gemini box's come up for sale second-hand offten?

Is there no 2wd boxes?

Or could a 4 motion box be converted?

Edit: would thisbe no good?

(Sorry about the longest link in the world, if a mod could shorten it please) Done - Henny

Would you say it would be worth it, or would you just get the stock box upgraded so to speek?

Space isnt an issue!

its a lot of work, I did the conversion on my 1.8T mk2 golf with a leon 2wd box.

I had relocate the tower which the gearbox mounts to about 4 cm further back to make room for the huge CVs that come with teh box.

then you have to make up a bracket to go from the box to the mount, then you have to get the drive shafts shorten to the correct length.

I would say it was worth it, the ratios are nice and close and you have the benefits of massive cv and tough shafts.

Oh and the action of the gearbox blows the corrado one away! 8) its ultra slick and precise, you have to try it.

I have one in my car, but I when a totally different way about mounting mine, plus I am having the 4wd so i will need it.

its a lot of work, I did the conversion on my 1.8T mk2 golf with a leon 2wd box.

I had relocate the tower which the gearbox mounts to about 4 cm further back to make room for the huge CVs that come with teh box.

then you have to make up a bracket to go from the box to the mount, then you have to get the drive shafts shorten to the correct length.

I would say it was worth it, the ratios are nice and close and you have the benefits of massive cv and tough shafts.

Oh and the action of the gearbox blows the corrado one away! 8) its ultra slick and precise, you have to try it.

I have one in my car, but I when a totally different way about mounting mine, plus I am having the 4wd so i will need it.

so this is defenatly a worth while mod because its one i've been thinking about for a while,am i right in saying that you have to use the dualmass flywheel and clutch from the seat as well??,allso is moving the rear gearbox mount the only mod you did to get it to fit apart from the driveshafts??

cheers

gibber_2k, gibber_2k, I would only be speculating, but I reckon it could handle it easy, certainly the running gear can take it, I would guess at yes it can handle it, as even with the 4wd the gearbox has to handle all the power before its distributed, you might even say that the 4wd puts even more stress on the box as with better traction you will get better resistance to the engien torque.

20v turbo, I think its worth it, one thing to bear in mind is that your ratios will be fairly close, as the mk4 and leon run wheels with a bigger rolling radius, you will need the box, the dual mass flywheel, the shafts (which will need shortening) and the shifter mechanism. all the other engine mounts fit fine, you just need to sort out that gearbox mount. Its not that difficult really, just a bit time consuming

you should really be asking yourself if FWD can handle 300bhp. IMO it can't.

My box is an 02c vr6 syncro box, with gemini/vw motorsport ratios and a peloquin diff. with a fidanza flywheel and helix clutch. it was built to take 400bhp. I've been hammering it for 18 months now, not had any problems with it as yet.

you can get a v6 02m box, they cam on us spec mk4's and beetle rsi's (the cup racers). but don't use the dual mass flywheel. it's ridiculously heavy, and they go faultty too.